Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

According overheating

water_sprite
10-11-2006, 01:17 PM
I recently bought a '92 Accord....Everything runs great EXCEPT it tends to overheat at stop lights.....I live in a rural area and when driving on the hwy, It's fine.....But when driving in town, it starts overheating....

Also the heater does not blow hot air....related?.....

I'm going to take it to my mechanic, but not sure it he's overly familiar w/Hondas and thought I could take your suggestions to him.....

Thx!!!

jeffcoslacker
10-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Well if you're hot and the heater won't throw heat...generally you are low on coolant. Heater core is the first thing to run dry, being highest. Otherwise there is a more complex issue happeneing, like an airlocked heater core due to compression gasses in the cooling system from a bad head gasket, etc.

Try filling it through the radiator, not the resevoir, with the motor running, then replace the cap and fill the resevoir to the "full cold" mark, and test drive. It should come up to the "full hot" line after driving for some distance.

if the heater starts working now, let it idle for a while with the heat turned off, and verify that the radiator fan does actually cycle on and cool it down before it gets too hot. If the fan doesn't work, expansion from idling hot may have forced out the coolant that was missing that caused the heater not to work.

n8zdogg
10-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Thermostat could be stuck. Try the coolant fill first, I think there is a bleed screw to let out air on top of the thermostat housing

Add your comment to this topic!