Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 camry 3.0 p300 help please

brocsbar
10-11-2006, 10:22 AM
My grandma has a 98 camry 3.0 90K miles that is driving me crazy. I am a mechanically inclined guy but this code 300, 306 is stumping me. I've checked the plugs (they look fine) I tested the ignitor and it checked out I checked the coils and even swaped the three coils and plugs around in the front. I clear the code and it comes back on after driving for a while. I know it is a waste spark system. (does that mean the wires should be changed more frequently since they fire more?) All the plugs are double platinum and look new. I let the engine run in a dark garage to look for jumping arcs and nothing so I don't feel the wires are bad. I changed the noisy water pump a couple of months ago so I am sure it is timed. (the same code was there prior) I'm not getting any CRK, IAT, MAF, or EGR codes so I am hesitant to throw parts at it. I would really appreciate some input of the matter from someone who can help me. Brocsbar@hotmail.com

Brian R.
10-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Check your #6 cylinder injector. It may not be correctly functioning because of blockage or bad electrical connection. Buy a cheap stethescope and listen to it when the engine is idling. You should hear the same clicking sound as when you listen to the other injectors. A different or no sound may mean it's clogged or jammed.

Check the fuel line pressure and flow. Compare with specifications. Replace the pump, filter or pressure regulator as needed.

Check the compression on all cylinders. Compare with specifications

Remove and clean the MAF meter with some high quality non-residue or electronic cleaner. Clean the connector terminals with electronic cleaner.

Check the engine coolant temperature sensor voltage output.

Clean the EGR valve

brocsbar
10-11-2006, 02:01 PM
I will do what you say and I thank you and hopefully will write with good news. Also it is normally #6 that shows up although other cyl are showing up on occasion. I'll let you know how it goes!

Mike Gerber
10-13-2006, 08:28 AM
I would change the plug wires, especially if they haven't been changed in a while or you don't know how old they are. Checking for sparking in a dark area is not a sufficient test. The wires can break internally, showing no signs of external spark. Sometimes the spark can jump the internal gap, and sometimes it can not. If you like, you can get a DVM and check the resistance of the wires, or even just check them for continuity. Chances are you will not fine continuity in that number 6 wires. Personally, I would just replace them.

Mike

brocsbar
10-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Ichanged the wires and cleaned the MAF with electric cleaner, listened to the injectors checked the ECT and igniter it seems to have a shake/hesitation at 60. Could the trans or tourque convertor cause # 6 to miss?

rhandwor
10-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Spray around the injector base with carb cleaner a vacuum leak will cause a miss. Check no. 6 plug does it show signs of running lean.

Brian R.
10-20-2006, 10:38 PM
The injector can still be clogged. Check the spray pattern and volume.

brocsbar
10-22-2006, 09:30 AM
I think the injector may be clogged as well at this point. I will change it and get back to you all. thanks.

Add your comment to this topic!