Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Starting problems, fuel related

BigCity
10-10-2006, 11:41 PM
My Rodeo is having these symptoms: When I turn the key in the ignition, normally, I can hear a whirring noise (fuel pump or regulator), the gas gauge goes to its position, orange and green 'power' lights on right side come on and go off in about 3 seconds, and the whirring stops. The car starts fine.

Sometimes on warm days or when car is hot, I turn the key, the lights (orange and green on right side) don't come on, gas gauge doesn't move, no whirring noise and car won't start. After repeated turning off and on of key without cranking, finally lights come on, whirring occurs, and finally car starts.

Today my rodeo showed these symptoms and would not start at all. Finally I checked the relay for the fuel pump, removed the cover and manually forced contact. I allowed the pump to run several seconds, then the car started. I noticed the relay cover had a small (about 1/4 of a penny) hole in the bottom.

My fuel pressure regulator was replaced about 2 years ago, and I replaced the fuel filter about 9 months ago.

Do I just need to replace the relay?

Thanks for any advice!

1999 Rodeo 3.2L 4wd LS
100500 miles

Ramblin Fever
10-10-2006, 11:56 PM
The lights coming on, or staying off, wouldn't have anything to do with the fuel system - check all of your electrical ground connections.

How old is your battery and alternator?

trooperbc
10-11-2006, 12:14 AM
...Do I just need to replace the relay...

certainly sounds like the shortest way to troubleshoot this, doesn't it. you're diagnosis sounds plausible to me (though the ignition switch jumps to mind, too)

is there another relay in there that's the same and you can just swap it temporarily to see if that fixes the problem?

//bc

Gizmo42
10-11-2006, 11:15 AM
Sounds like the ignition switch to me too. If you have to turn it on and off several times for the idiot lights to come on for the light check then I would say the ignition switch contacts are bad.

BigCity
10-11-2006, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the replys,

I bought my Rodeo used at 44k about 4 years ago; I have not replaced alternator so I assume it is the original. Battery is about a year old. I replaced heater relay with fuel pump relay and had the same symptoms. Additionally, as I was driving home today my Rodeo shut down twice (in traffic) but I was able to restart both times. Is that also consistent with ignition switch problems (fluids have been replaced recently)?

I didn't say it, but the engine always cranks but does not always start.

If it is the ignition switch - is that the wire set that sells for about $70 online? I took apart my panel under steering wheel today and it looks easy enough to replace the wires. Any comments on ignition switch replacing?

Thanks Again!

Gizmo42
10-11-2006, 06:01 PM
Additionally, as I was driving home today my Rodeo shut down twice (in traffic) but I was able to restart both times.

That could definatly be from the ignition switch losing contact. My m'cycle will do that. My ignition switch is shot on it.

trooperbc
10-11-2006, 09:53 PM
....If it is the ignition switch - is that the wire set that sells for about $70 online? I took apart my panel under steering wheel today and it looks easy enough to replace the wires. ....

sounds like you are confusing ignition wires (which are spark plug wires) and
ignition switch, which is what is turned with the key.

the wires to the switch are not ignition wires. what you want is the ignition switch, and my bet is that it is a dealer-only item, but maybe not.

hth

//bc

BigCity
11-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Thanks for all the help. And yes, I needed an ignition switch, which has wires, but those are not ignition wires. When searching on line for parts that makes a big difference.

I purchased the part for about $53 and paid $25 for overnight shipping. The car was not safe to drive at all. It is easy enought to replace yourself and gives you a chance to detail some of your interior. I have not experienced any problems with stalling or difficult starting since replacing the ignition switch.

No telling what I would pay at the dealer for this simple DIY, and thanks again for the help!

surferfletch
11-06-2006, 06:11 PM
Thanks for the update. I swapped the ignition switch in my Jetta in about an hour a year or so ago. It involved removing the steering column cowl, disconnecting all of the electrical connections (airbag, wiper stalk controls, and ignition harness), removing a single bolt in the steering column u-joint near the floor, and pulling the entire column out of its tube. All this to access a tiny screw holding the switch in place. And you replace the electrical portion of the switch only. The mechanical tumbler part of the switch is still good. Is the Rodeo switch easier? http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v380/surferfletch/ignition004.jpg
The Jetta switch.

Add your comment to this topic!