Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

keypad code on door?

JMDetermann
10-10-2006, 07:16 PM
I purchased a pre-owned 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac sometime ago.

I have never known the code to the outside door keypad. I know usually it's on the card in the owners manual. In this case It didn't come with one.

I know there is somewhere in the vehicle in which the keypad code is on a sticker. I jsut don't know where to find it.

Does anyone know where to find the keypad code location on a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac?
Thanks in advance.

-Jon

ixoxoli
10-11-2006, 10:29 PM
the sticker is in the cargo area where hte jack is located. basically on the left side when you open the trunk, open the area where the jack is and look for a sticker there.

shorod
10-12-2006, 01:05 PM
The sticker may not be quite that obvious, it will probably be affixed to the RAP module which is a bit forward of the opening for the jack. You will probably need a bright light to see the sticker and may even need to close one eye to read the code on the sticker.

-Rod

JMDetermann
10-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Trunk area?

Are we talking about an Explorer sport or a Sport trac?

-Jon

xthirdimpact
10-14-2006, 11:33 AM
I know that on my explorer there is a compartment in the rear on the left where i release a few black levers, remove the panel that secures the lugwrench, inside should be the jack. Mind you my explorer is a 97, old body style. I aint sher if this is unique to the older ones or if it carried over to the new style.

shorod
10-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Trunk area?

Are we talking about an Explorer sport or a Sport trac?

-Jon

Ooops, I didn't notice that the original post related to a Sport Trac. Per the service manual, the Central Security Module is behind the LH rear quarter trim panel. I'm not sure if there will be any access panel in that trim panel that will allow you visual access without removing the panel or not.

-Rod

SkyOutGirl
10-18-2006, 10:49 AM
The sticker may not be quite that obvious, it will probably be affixed to the RAP module which is a bit forward of the opening for the jack. You will probably need a bright light to see the sticker and may even need to close one eye to read the code on the sticker.

-Rod

Would this be a similar location in a 01 Sport (how do I identify the RAP module?)?

I also purchased mine without the keyless entry button or the code. Could the code have been changed by the previous owner?

Seems like such a handy benefit to have go to waste.

shorod
10-18-2006, 12:22 PM
The section in the factory service manual applies to both the Sport and the Sport Trac.

The previous owner could have added a code, but could not have changed the factory preset code. Well, they could have, but that would require opening the module and moving some resistors around.

Did your Sport come with the owner's manual? If so, the 5-digit code may be written down in there or on a sticker. The manual details the process to add a user code as well as delete any previously stored user codes.

-Rod

SkyOutGirl
10-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Unfortunately, no manual came with the car. When I talked to the dealer they said I would have to first buy the keyless entry remote ($75) and then they could reprogram the code for another $75.

I am going to pull that baby apart tonight and see if I can find it. Would this be something the manufacturer would have in their computers by VIN?

shorod
10-18-2006, 09:59 PM
I don't know if the dealer would be able to access the code via the VIN number or not, but I certainly would not want to pay $75 for them to pull it up. Some scan tools can display the code, and that is likely what they would do. However, once you locate the module, there will be a sticker on it with the code.

You can also download a copy of the owner's manual off the Internet. I know the path has been posted a few times, so a quick search of this forum should locate it.

-Rod

SkyOutGirl
10-19-2006, 05:10 PM
I looked inside the jack compartment, and was unable to locate any sticker or set of stickers, nor anything that looked like something other than the metal of the car. The owner's manual says it will be marked on the computer module, but I have no idea where to find that and the owners manual doesn't clarify.

I thought I read something yesterday about this being located under the hood on the passenger side...removing some bolts? Doesn't sound to tough and I will try to find that post again. But, if someone knows off hand that would be cool.

shorod
10-19-2006, 10:17 PM
The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will be located on the passenger side, but not the computer for the keyless entry.

When you had the jack compartment door open, did you look forward, basically up next to the rear seat seatback? Somewhere in that area, between the exterior sheet metal and the plastic interior trim, there should be a box with a bunch of wires going in to it. The box may be an off-white color. On the side of that box there will be a sticker with the code on it. The sticker will be parallel to the interior trim panel, so it takes a bright light and one decent eye (if you have two, you may need to close one eye to focus on the sticker). The module will not be just behind the jack compartment door.

-Rod

klloyd
10-20-2006, 11:11 AM
I just bought on 01 sport trac, the key pad code is right above the jack on the white box, its a five digit # about 1/4" tall letters.

JMDetermann
10-20-2006, 04:13 PM
I used a flashlight and looked all over for it in the jack compartment behind the seats, and Still cant find anything.

-Jon

SkyOutGirl
10-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Wow, this thing is hard to find. I did look all the way up in the jack compartment, thoroughly on both sides, top and bottom. I didn't see any boxes and the only wires I can see are the set running back to the door unlock, blinker light and speaker and the only other thing I can see is the seatbelt mechanism. I used a light and mirror and looked all over inside, even almost got my head stuck and dropped the mirror into the abyss in front of the wheel well.

The area you are describing around the seat seems to fall right over or in front of my rear wheel well. There is definitely no box mounted there. I wonder if the module is not in the jack compartment on the Sport, since the jack compartment is in the back cargo area which the sport trac doesn't have. I also tried looking down the hole for the driver seatbelt for wires, but only saw the same set I saw from the back.

If I can get my hands on a manual, or someone who has one, would it specify where the module is located? I wonder if it is in the door panel or something.

I also saw a mention in another thread about pulling the passenger airbag and it is there somewhere.

This is almost worth paying a dude $75!!!

shorod
10-20-2006, 09:11 PM
The owner's manual will not specify where the module is located. The service manual does describe the location. In fact, it shows a Sport when describing the location for the Sport Trac and Sport.

If you'd like, I can e-mail you a PDF version of the service manual that describes how to get to the module. Send me a private message with an e-mail address for you that can accpet attachments and your request.

-Rod

klloyd
10-21-2006, 01:16 PM
If you fold down the rear passenger seat, and open the storage compartment (looking toward the back) look directly to the right and there should be a white box. the code is on that box. I can emil a pic of where it is if you want. i just need an e-mail to send it to.

Fleneer
10-23-2006, 12:49 AM
According to a friend who has Mitchell data the Remote Anti-Theft Personality (RAP) Module on a 2001 Explorere Sport Trac is located "below center of rear window" I own a '97 Explorer and the module is inside the driver side panel just behind the rear seat. You can barely read the numbers by looking forward through the jack storage area. FWIW on many sedans the module is located inside the driver door.

JMDetermann
11-05-2006, 05:10 PM
I don't see it. =(

klloyd
11-07-2006, 12:41 PM
Well i finally got my truck back from the svc. dept. at the dealership after a week and a half. The module in my truck is white, and i needed a pretty bright light to see the #s. And it is in the rear compartment behind the rear passenger seat.

r.camp1
11-12-2006, 07:40 PM
I found this forum by accident while trying to get info about my keypad code for my 99 Explorer. The other members were correct when they said to look at the module in the back compartment. Today I went out to my truck and opened the side compartment and could see the module on the right side (toward the rear seats). I took a flash light and found the sticker on the module where the code was located. The angle of the module is in line to the side of truck so it is a little hard to see, but readable. Saved me some dollars!!!!!! Thanks a bunch guys!!

dxve
11-21-2006, 03:02 PM
Sorry. One more idiot who can't find the module...

I recently bought an '03 Sport Trac XLT. I've read (and re-read) this thread but it isn't helping. I suspect that the issue is that my Sport Trac has the upgraded Pioneer stereo, with the sub woofer mounted behind the rear seat, on the driver's side. The sub woofer box occupies most of the storage space behind this seat and extends behind the centre seat position, almost to the edge of the jack/storage space behind the passenger side rear seat. It is black plastic and there is no white box anywhere to be seen.

I have looked everywhere, even following wires under the floor mat and under the rear seat. I've gently pulled the liner away from the rear sheetmetal and all I've found is a rather large contraption that I'll assume is the motor for the rear window. It was almost directly behind the jack.

Any suggestions as to where they might have relocated the "computer" to in an effort to make room for the sub woofer?

Please help! I'm almost frustrated enough to think about visiting a dealer!!

r.camp1
11-23-2006, 10:46 PM
Sorry. One more idiot who can't find the module...

I recently bought an '03 Sport Trac XLT. I've read (and re-read) this thread but it isn't helping. I suspect that the issue is that my Sport Trac has the upgraded Pioneer stereo, with the sub woofer mounted behind the rear seat, on the driver's side. The sub woofer box occupies most of the storage space behind this seat and extends behind the centre seat position, almost to the edge of the jack/storage space behind the passenger side rear seat. It is black plastic and there is no white box anywhere to be seen.

I have looked everywhere, even following wires under the floor mat and under the rear seat. I've gently pulled the liner away from the rear sheetmetal and all I've found is a rather large contraption that I'll assume is the motor for the rear window. It was almost directly behind the jack.

Any suggestions as to where they might have relocated the "computer" to in an effort to make room for the sub woofer?

Please help! I'm almost frustrated enough to think about visiting a dealer!!

I have a 99 and the module is not that far back in the compart. When you open the compartment door, its' right there on your right side. When I first read this forum I thought it was far back inside the compartment and had to look 3 seperate times before realizing it was closer. I have also heard that the code can be located inside or under the glove box.

randz
11-24-2006, 12:14 PM
yes Another 2001 sport Trac With Out The Door Code!
Yes This Is The Truck Style Not The Explorer With Out The Bed.
I Have Pulled Out The Whole Back Pannel To The Metal, No Box With Wires In Site Except For The Power Window Motor!
Pulled The Glove Box Out , ALSO HAVE LOOKED UNDER DRIVER REAR FENDER WELL.
I HAVE HEARD IT COULD BE ABOVE THE AIR BAG UNDER THE GLOVE BOX, KINDA DON'T WANT TO REMOVE THE AIR BAG, MY LUCK IT WILL GO OFF.
Build Date 12/2000.
Any Help Out There?

Thanks In Advance randz

( I GOT LUCKY PULLING OUT THE GLOVE BOX, I FOUND THE PREVIUOS OWNERS CELL #. CALLED AND THEY KNEW THE CODE! THANK GOD. GOOD LUCK EVERY BODY!)

JSUsaxman
01-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Is that the same on a 99 XLT????

JMDetermann
01-27-2007, 09:04 PM
I have found that it is indeed behind the passenger airbag.

-Jon

Add your comment to this topic!