Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

catylitic convertor = engine problem??

nofear39427
10-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Okay I was driving down the road coming home from work when all of a sudden my car loses power and then the catylitic convertor starts stinking really bad.Could this be a problem with my caty wearing out and perhaps if I gutted the caty would my cars performance improve?

SLoe
10-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Okay I was driving down the road coming home from work when all of a sudden my car loses power and then the catylitic convertor starts stinking really bad.Could this be a problem with my caty wearing out and perhaps if I gutted the caty would my cars performance improve?

Rotten eggs....bleckkack..ptoooie!

Silly rabbit, of course gutting your cat will improve your car's performance.:icon16: You would be eliminating a major restriction in the exhaust.

david-b
10-10-2006, 05:38 PM
BUT, if you have emmissions testing, you'll fail if you do that FYI.

SLoe
10-10-2006, 05:43 PM
^But of course, I didn't mention it sorry, I don't have emissions testing in my state. :D

MT-2500
10-10-2006, 06:03 PM

Gutting a cat or removing it is illegal.
But you could drop exhaust down a little for a test run if no body is looking.
Any check engine lights?
Tune up history?
A vacume gauge or back pressure gauge will spot a stoped up cat.
Check engine vacume at idle and at 2K and report back reading.

Tips on getting a good answer to your questions.
People trying to answer your question do not have a crystal ball.
So give them all of the info you have like year make and model and engine and transmission.
Also service cars engine and transmission service history or any recent repairs or problems.
Also a description of your problem and what it is doing or not doing.
If you have codes give up the code no.
And remember a code does not say replace the part but only points to the problem that you have to check out.
So to better help you give up all of the info you have on it.
MT

sganc4life_4
10-10-2006, 07:41 PM
If it smells like rotton eggs, the gas has too much sulfur in it and you probably got some bad gas.

SLoe
10-10-2006, 09:13 PM
Gutting a cat or removing it is illegal.
But you could drop exhaust down a little for a test run if no body is looking.
Any check engine lights?
Tune up history?
A vacume gauge or back pressure gauge will spot a stoped up cat.
Check engine vacume at idle and at 2K and report back reading.

Tips on getting a good answer to your questions.
People trying to answer your question do not have a crystal ball.
So give them all of the info you have like year make and model and engine and transmission.
Also service cars engine and transmission service history or any recent repairs or problems.
Also a description of your problem and what it is doing or not doing.
If you have codes give up the code no.
And remember a code does not say replace the part but only points to the problem that you have to check out.
So to better help you give up all of the info you have on it.
MTSo is speeding :evillol: If you have smog police you can opt for an aftermarket high flow cat to increase your performance. That's what I would do if I had emissions testing here. Regardless of the cat being stopped up, I would replace/eliminate it.

^^Agreed, it would help tremendously in the future if you put your make/model/mods in your signature. Good job on the title also, poor titles make me not want to click on the threads. Keep them as short and descriptive as posible.:2cents:

nofear39427
10-11-2006, 07:14 PM
We dont have emission laws in Mississippi or smog cops lol.
I am more tempted to either gut the caty or just find some nice big exhaust.
Yeah your right it may be bad gas because it didnt start until after I got gas.
But it has been stinking ever since I got the car.

defiancy
10-11-2006, 07:20 PM
We dont have emission laws in Mississippi or smog cops lol.
I am more tempted to either gut the caty or just find some nice big exhaust.
Yeah your right it may be bad gas because it didnt start until after I got gas.
But it has been stinking ever since I got the car.

Just get a megan dp, it's like 100 bucks, or if you are NA get a straight pipe to eliminate the cat. They aren't very expensive, and will replace that restrictive cat and piping with larger piping for better flow.

Add your comment to this topic!