Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Cavalier no spark in #1 and 4 cyl!!!!!! 2.4L

hotJ
10-10-2006, 02:33 PM
Not the coil packs, not the ignition control module........HELP

Kraya
10-20-2006, 07:23 PM
Im having the same problem, except its only #1 cyl im not getting a spark from. all the other ones are fine. New coil packs and new wires. I have no clue, and i dont want to pay GM $80 just to tell me what the problem is!

Kraya
10-21-2006, 02:09 PM
Im having the same problem, except its only #1 cyl im not getting a spark from. all the other ones are fine. New coil packs and new wires. I have no clue, and i dont want to pay GM $80 just to tell me what the problem is!

Make that 2 cylinders... #1 and #4

richtazz
10-22-2006, 07:54 AM
How did you determine that the coil packs and ignition module weren't the culprits? The coil housing is similar to a distributor cap. It has molded in metal that transfers spark from the coil to the plug boot (technically, the 2.4 doesn't have wires) that can fail or carbon track leading to a no-spark issue. If yo uhave a digital multimeter, check for any resistance between the attachment points for the plug boots. If there is any resistance (it should be infinite) between any two, you have a bad coil housing.

frustrated_sunfire
10-26-2006, 06:06 AM
try the coil housing, i have a 98 sunfire that did the same thing and i replaced the coil packs, coil housing. "wireS" plugs etc then ended up still putting it in the shop for chev to tell me the coil housing i had special ordered through them had a crack in it. just a suggestion anyway

Add your comment to this topic!