Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1966 Pontiac Star Chief Executive 2Dr

Cobra427
10-10-2006, 08:34 AM
Hey ... I just got this thing ... Well I dont even have it in my driveway yet lol gonna go pick it up today I hope ..... I was just wondering if anyone knew if there was a website that would help me with the serial codes? The car looks all orig but I would like to know what it has in it exactly ....

Oh yea ...... get this I got it for free :) Was out bow hunting and saw it at a lumber mill .... asked the owner of the place about it and he told me if I wanted it it was mine

I have one pic .... the car is far from mint but its not bad from what I can tell and it looks to have a SB V8 with a 2bbl

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/Cobra427/IMG00011.jpg

Yes I know its in the grass lol .... He said it hasnt been there long from what he knows

maxwedge
10-10-2006, 08:43 AM
It seems the " serial codes" are not your first priority here, getting it running and driving would be my first worry. Many websites out there specialize in old Pontiacs, do a Google search. Good luck.

Cobra427
10-10-2006, 08:49 AM
I gotta find a place for it lol .... got a 3 bay garage but only 1 bay is mine and my mustang is in it with the engine next to it lol .... my dads 36 Dodge PU is outside and the driveway is full of our daily drivers lol and the other 2 bays are full ... one has my dads 88 Ranger king cab on a full size bronco frame in it and the other is for his 97 Bonneville but its full of junk lol

Just thought I would mention I also found a 1958 Bonneville just 1 mile down the road lol

MrPbody
10-10-2006, 12:27 PM
Cobra,

Ames Performance and Performance Years are your best sources for resto parts. They cater to Pontiacs ONLY, and have a good line of stuff for the "dark siders" (what BIG Pontiacs are nown as among the Pontiac "crowd").

performanceyears.com
classicalpontiac.com
pontiacstreetperformance.com

All of these sites are strictly Pontiac and full of very good information, and a raft of qualified guys and gals doling it out.

wallacewracing.com

This site has a ton of codes, VINs, etc., to help you identify your particular car.

The engine (if original) is a 389 CID, with a Rochester 2GC carb. It's NOT a 421 unless someone put it in there, and swapped the intakes. It's a "long tail" Turbo400 (TH375). Proabably 2.90 rear axle ratio. There were a couple of options there, with the 2-bbl engine.

ALL the parts you need to restore OR modify the car, are readily available.

Where are you located? I know some folks that might be interested in that '58...

Jim

Cobra427
10-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Well ... Its home and man I can tell you this ..... NEVER haul a car like that with a 4cyl ford ranger lol ..... my dads lil truck could not even get it out of the grass it was in the guy who we got it from pulled it out.... I have a 90 F150 4x4 5.0 bug no hitch to hault a car dolly

We are located up in East Millinocket Maine 04430 .... its up there lol .... the cars are in Patton Maine

and yep its got a 389 2bbl in it but alot is missing from the engine ... all the chrome is on it and the grills are mint lol ..... not a single dent in it except on the rear where they pushed it in with a truck

Cobra427
10-10-2006, 09:36 PM
Oh yea on a side note ..... the 389 is missing alot .... infact oddly enough there was a list stuch under the intake of all the parts that the guy removed .... big list too ....

If the 389 is in good shape and the tranny isnt bad and we can get parts we are gonna rebuild it and leave the car somewhat stock....

But if the engine isnt the orig one or isnt in great shape or what not we are dropping in my 502ci caddy engine .... that should move that car quite well :evillol:

Also we got lucky .... the car had 2 flats and I just heppened to get in the car and searched around and found the keys int he backseat .... opened the trunk and there was 2 tires that held air the orig bumper jack and a really really old freak'n space heater thing .... I mean really old ....

Cobra427
10-11-2006, 04:20 PM
Well .... Looked it over today and the frame is rotted .... right infront of the rear tire on both sides .....

That just shows how tough oldies are lol ... we towed it 20 miles on a really bad road after my dads lil ranger was just a tugging at the car try'n to get it out and it never broke

If the frame cant be fixed and I cant find a replacement I guess I will either part it out or put it on ebay.... Its gotta be worth something .... all the chrome is there rockers are still good no rust on the doors the hood skin is good and the body only has a couple rust holes

Cobra427
10-16-2006, 06:15 PM
Ends up its not rotted that bad ... had a guy look at it and its an easy safe fix ... its only a small spot ....

The floor boards are rock solid but the carpet was rotten

so in total it needs ....

either a new engine or parts for the 389 .... a hood frame .... the trunk floor patched or replaced .... a gas tank ..... 2 small holes in the fenders and a couple minor dings....

I was think'n about selling it as I am disabled and have no means to restore it ... Ive heard it was a rare car ... atleast the 2 dr was

What do you think I could get out of it? on ebay or whatnot .... iff need be I can add a 502ci engine in with it .... if its still in the guys shed ... its mine i just have no way to pick it up lol

the 389 would be included ofcourse if the 502 was allready in the car if i do decide to sell it ...... unless i sell the 389 as a parts engine

MagicRat
10-21-2006, 07:54 PM
It looks like it could be a very interesting project for someone.

IMO sell it. If you have no means to restore it or would not enjoy restoring it, there really is no reason to keep it.
You simply would lose money to restore it. When completed it would be worth a lot less than what you would put into it. Therefore, a restoration only makes sense if you would enjoy doing it.

Cobra427
10-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Its be for not that I would not enjoy it..... Its just I am disabled and can barley walk ... I'm go'n in for yet another surgery in a few days I cant work so there is no money at all to go into the car ..... As it is my mustang has been sitt'n in the garage with the engine next to it cause I cant afford 2 motor mounts .... Let alone the $$$$ to restore that .... It would not have been too bad if the frame didnt have the rot on it ...

I love cars ... I love to look at them, drive them, and work on them ... Basicly just classics ... not into modern wannabe crap boxes...

Cobra427
11-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Well I just had surgery on my leg but I managed to get 1 more pic before my camera died ...

Its got a flat tire and the right hood hinge is bent

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/Cobra427/IMG00003.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!