Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

93 - 300E help

Bratzo
10-10-2006, 01:55 AM
The Low engine cooland level warning lamp is on, i check the cooland level and is ok there is no liks. Temp is normal, no idea why the lamp is on ? any ideas please help.
Thanks

arlingtoncountyred
10-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Defective coolant level sensor is the most likely cause, it is located in the coolant surge tank.

seafishy
01-09-2007, 09:50 PM
Defective coolant level sensor is the most likely cause, it is located in the coolant surge tank.
Question. is the surge tank the plastic tank you pour the coolant into?
Im having the same problem on my 1990 300E. The radiator light comes on then goes off and sometimes flickers....

Once I have located the surge tank what does the sensor look like. Can I do the replacement myself without too many tools...In other words will this be an easy replacement?
Thanks

seafishy
01-14-2007, 12:19 PM
Since I'm not a mechanic I took my car to my MB mechanic and he said it was the sensor and the fill tank had to be replaced because of a small leak along with the hose..

benztech82
01-14-2007, 02:48 PM
the surge tank is the tank on the passenger side of the car if I'm not mistaking on that model. the sensor can be replaced but you'll need a set of snap ring pliers that can be purchased at any auto parts store. they will need to be for external snap rings. if you are looking from the front of the car the sensor will be located in the lower right hand side of the reservoir or on the bottom front and have a small two wire plug going into it. sometimes these plugs become corroded so make sure to check and/or clean yours if you decide to do this. replacement is simple. Unplug the sensor carefully, the plastic housing will break. Completely remove the snap ring. pull out the old sensor and drain the coolant out into something. make sure the old o-ring came out with it. slide the new sensor in exactly like the old one came out. reinstall the snap ring and plug it back in. now top off the coolant and you should be good to go. hope this helps.

Add your comment to this topic!