Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

just a few questions on crankwalk

2of9
10-09-2006, 11:43 PM
just studying and researching and quad-checking before i get a DSM. So, the flawed design of the 7 bolt motor suffers from "crank walk" a condition where the design of the main bearings causes them to wear out (especially with aftermarket clutches) and the crank will literally shift side to side in the block. New bearings, aftermarket cranks, rods, or pistons won't fix this. It is a design problem. well, there are other reasons why crank walk can happen, but does that mean the Evolution 8 and 9 will also or eventually have crankwalk? i know crank walk can happen in ANY car depending on owner, but yeah. is there any way you alter the block or motor to possible decrease the chances of crankwalk? (ahahah...:( )well, both ways imma get a dsm. thanks!

crunchymilk55
10-09-2006, 11:58 PM
thank you for doing your research.

There are a handful of guys/companies who claim they can prevent crankwalk because they have found the cause. Whether or not that's true, noone really knows. It's not that common, in fact I am not sure about my car walking as of right now. The 7bolt in the evo's is revised and is not prone to walking anymore than any other car.

david-b
10-09-2006, 11:58 PM
The EVO isn't suspectable to crank walk like our 7 bolt. I don't think it is a 7 bolt, but I do know that the block and internals are upgraded. They're not cheaps like the 7-bolts. The main difference is between the 6 and 7-bolts is that Mitshi decided to go cheap on us, which is why they had the problem. They learned from their mistakes and have a better crank and block for the EVO. Yes, any car can get crankwalk, but 7-bolts are proned to get it, seems like from what we've talked about here about 110k-130k miles.

Only way to get away from crankwalk on the 7-bolt is either with a stroker kit or a 6-bolt swap.

EDIT: Damn Crunchy we must have been typing at the same time...

crunchymilk55
10-10-2006, 12:00 AM
but somebody hit the post button first ;)

david-b
10-10-2006, 12:04 AM
On the same minute. Oh well. It's all good. I'll let that one slide. Dont let it happen again. I kid I kid.

NOFX0617
10-10-2006, 01:37 AM
All EVO's are 7 bolts....Yeah I did a lot of research on this same topic...and it seems that everyone has a differant opionion of what it is....whether its a bad crank or bad bearings...or oil squirters....but it is true that there are not as many cases of it than people make it seem....

2of9
10-10-2006, 02:44 AM
The EVO isn't suspectable to crank walk like our 7 bolt. I don't think it is a 7 bolt, but I do know that the block and internals are upgraded. They're not cheaps like the 7-bolts. The main difference is between the 6 and 7-bolts is that Mitshi decided to go cheap on us, which is why they had the problem. They learned from their mistakes and have a better crank and block for the EVO. Yes, any car can get crankwalk, but 7-bolts are proned to get it, seems like from what we've talked about here about 110k-130k miles.

Only way to get away from crankwalk on the 7-bolt is either with a stroker kit or a 6-bolt swap.

Yeah, evos are pretty much "made" to be "raced" to handle that kinda power. i just think that it is poor mitsu engineering, but was mitsu expecting this crank walk issue, poorly made block to happen? i dont know but thanks for replying. and another way to "stop" crank walk in the 6/7 bolt motors is to stroke it? hmmm....anyone got a 2.4 hyundai car laying around???:evillol:

crunchymilk55
10-10-2006, 11:31 AM
The reason crankwalk is so rampant is because at the slightest possibility of it, people assume it's c-walk and freak out. I am 100% guilty of this, as now it appears that there was a hydraulic issue. Still waiting on my guy in san antonio to actually measure endplay today.

SLoe
10-10-2006, 05:38 PM
The 7bolt in the evo wasn't manufactured in the good ole US of A was it? Hmmmm, maybe that's why it isn't as suseptible to CW. ;) Unfortunatly I was not mistaken when I diagnosed my car with it :( I still have pics of the bearing somewhere..........

SLoe
10-10-2006, 05:41 PM
AH HA!!!! Here it is. :( Makes me want to cry.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c206/loeman/watermark.jpg

Turbodog97
10-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Crankwalk...I had almost forgotten about that little(well big) word.

SLoe
10-11-2006, 02:45 AM
Crankwalk...I had almost forgotten about that little(well big) word.
It's never happened to you then?? :D Dude...where you been? Hiding out on srt forums?

Add your comment to this topic!