Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

obd0 b16 in 87 crx

sleeper87si
10-09-2006, 10:39 AM
i hav a b16a2 out of a 99-00 civic si. im putting it into my 87 crx and i alredy hav everything to install it but im not sure about the wireing. i hav a obd 0 distributor and an obd 0 pr3 ecu. since the stock harness on the crx is obd 0 would i have to integrate an obd0 harness from an 88-91 crx for the plugs to match or could i use my stock harness. what should i do

cvccvtec
10-24-2006, 02:27 AM
Is your CRX an SI or DX if its an 1987 SI it is the same as the 88-91civic and 88-89 acura integra now if its the distributor for vacuum advance that will need to changed to electronic ignition wiring then the 87 SI are all the same as SI civic 88-91 other than distributer if you can get the OBDO ECU with VTEC that will fit the ECU plugs in your CRX then all the Vtec wires need to be ran out to the motor if you need more explicit info i have alot more. the japanese JDM 88-91 civic B16 SIR1 first gen is the same plugs the 92-00 is not you have to pull pins at the ECU to fit your car or get the OBDO-OBD1 harness plugs to fit the 88-91 and 87 SI this site might help you www.Xenocron.com (http://www.Xenocron.com)

cvccvtec
10-24-2006, 02:43 AM
Is your CRX an SI or DX if its an 1987 SI it is the same as the 88-91civic and 88-89 acura integra now if its the distributor for vacuum advance that will need to changed to electronic ignition wiring then the 87 SI are all the same as SI civic 88-91 other than distributer if you can get the OBDO ECU with VTEC that will fit the ECU plugs in your CRX then all the Vtec wires need to be ran out to the motor if you need more explicit info i have alot more.

lxndr
10-25-2006, 03:37 AM
Is your CRX an SI or DX if its an 1987 SI it is the same as the 88-91civic and 88-89 acura integra now if its the distributor for vacuum advance that will need to changed to electronic ignition wiring then the 87 SI are all the same as SI civic 88-91 other than distributer if you can get the OBDO ECU with VTEC that will fit the ECU plugs in your CRX then all the Vtec wires need to be ran out to the motor if you need more explicit info i have alot more.

Where did you get this info from?

Let me make this absolutely clear to anyone reading this in the future. The '86-'87 SI wiring is NOT the same as an '88-'91 Civic or '88-'89 Integra!

I know, I had to rewire my '86 CRX SI from the ECU to the motor just to run an electronic advance distributor, VSS and ELD, and yes the wiring for an '87 SI is exactly the same as my '86 SI.

Sleeper87si, you have quite a bit of rewiring in your future. Check out www.redpepperracing.com for more info from people that have already done what you are asking.

sleeper87si
10-25-2006, 03:31 PM
will i still need to rewire for vss and eld if i am going to run an obd0 b16

lxndr
10-26-2006, 04:57 AM
Yes you will, all 88+ honda ECU's rely on a VSS (vehicle speed sensor) signal. There is a way around the ELD that requires soldering in a resistor to fool the ECU into thinking it has an ELD, but it's just as easy to install an ELD since you'll have the wiring torn apart anyway. I can post a diagram for the ELD patch (resistor) if you need it.

The VSS is incredibly easy to install in a 84-'87 Civic/CRX. All you need is the speedo gauge from an '84-'87 CRX HF since this is the only model to have a built in VSS. The '86-'89 Integra VSS will also work but you will need to drill 2 small holes in the gauge face or speedo since the mounting screws are different.

To wire a VSS in an '84-'87 Civic/CRX simply use a speedo drive gear from any D-series transmission to eliminate the B-series tranny mounted VSS (you need to do this to retain the cable driven speedometer). Then wire the VSS signal from the ECU to the HF speedo and ground the other side of the HF VSS. That's it, you're done.

Add your comment to this topic!