Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

NEED HELP FAST! Leaking Fuel Filter

nates6969
10-06-2006, 07:27 PM
So I was changing my fuel filter the other day and when I fired up the car, the bottom line of the fuel filter was leaking really bad. So I tightened up the flare nut as tight as I could but no success. Now when I got the filter it came with the 2 large crush washers for the banjo bolt and one other small one. However I didnt install the small washer. I figured since it was a flare nut, it didnt need it. Figured it was for another car the filter also fit. I was also afraid of it messing up the taper on the filter side. Does this crush washer need to be in there, between the filter and the flare nut? Im in a major bind here seeing as I need to get to work by 11 am tomorrow!

Thanks in advance guys!!

Blackcrow64
10-06-2006, 07:32 PM
When they include crush washers its always for a good reason dude. You need them, simple as that. lol

nates6969
10-06-2006, 08:08 PM
haha ya thats what I was thinking but it doesnt make sense! why would a flat washer be instert betweed to tapered fittings. It just seems like a good way to deform the flared fitting on the filter. Have you ever changed one yourself?

ned032002
10-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Yeah they wouldn't waste there time in putting the washer in there if you didn't need it.

Blackcrow64
10-06-2006, 08:20 PM
Wait a minute... you don't need a washer in tapered fittings... Both ends of the filter aren't tapered are they? Its been way too long since I changed mine and I forget.

nates6969
10-06-2006, 08:37 PM
ya only the bottom has a tapered fitting but the crush washer looks like it has the same diameter opening as the fuel feed line. I just dont want to put it in and ruin the taper on both the fuel line and the filter

Blackcrow64
10-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Threads didn't get cross threaded in the taper did they? Or somethin in there. Thats the only way it could be leakin... That or you need a real man there to tighten it down. lol :p

Blackcrow64
10-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Ya know... The more I think about it the more I am wanting to say that a crush washer was in the very bottom of the taper... But I can't remember for sure... Is the little one small enough to fit in there like that?

nates6969
10-06-2006, 08:53 PM
Im pretty sure it would fit in there and to and to answer your question, the threads are in great shape. I guess I can give it a try, I just wanted to verify it before I messed any fittings up. That fuel line is in one nassssty place to be reflaring a line

Blackcrow64
10-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I've had enough frustrations with reflaring brake lines lately. I sure would hate to have to do that fuel line there... I'd try the crush washer in there then. It can't make the leak any worse than it already is. lol

nates6969
10-07-2006, 06:15 PM
Alright guys heres the answer for all those that one day may have the same problem.

The small crush washer, when installed between the fuel filter and the lower flared line, extremely INCREASES the leak! In fact trying to put it in there in the first place is a major challenge! in fact it just wound up getting shifted in the flare and in turn, bent to hell.

However I went back to the parts store today to see if I was missing something and sure enough there was supposed to be a small rubber gasket with my filter. However both mine and my buddys didnt have it (same filter but both purchased at different stores). Talk about horrible quality control! So I grabbed the gasket and through it in, problem solved!

Now that that's over I hope to never change a fuel filter again! such a headache

Blackcrow64
10-08-2006, 01:13 AM
Nice, at least you solved the problem though.

Add your comment to this topic!