Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Wheel spacer/adaptor...ok to use?

jjb-GT
10-06-2006, 03:27 PM
My 71 MGB GT had wire wheels originally. Previous owner installed hubs to mount Western alloy wheels with lug nuts. They fit pretty well but I want to install early steel disc wheels with hubcaps. The wheels will set in too far and look odd. I've seen discussions of swapping rear end and driveshaft to get proper axle width for disc wheels. Is there a reason to not use a spacer/adaptor to place the wheels further outward? (Sure would be easier) Thanks.

KimMG
10-07-2006, 04:00 AM
There's been a few posts about changing the rear end to accommadate Rostyle rims from wire wheels.

http://www.mgexperience.net

Someone there will be able to tell you what you need, what is involved in changing the parts, and possible sources for the needed parts.

Flash75
10-08-2006, 08:48 AM
You will need to use about 3/4" thick spacers on each wheel to get the stock width. Your wheel studs will have to be replaced with longer studs. If done right the spacers will work OK.

Clifton

jjb-GT
10-09-2006, 05:46 PM
Many thanks! for the advice. The spacer/adapter approach would save lots of time and cost. I'll post a follow up when completed.

jjb-GT
10-26-2006, 04:00 PM
:) It worked! 1 1/4" thick adapters - 4 x 4 1/2" on the rear wheels brought them out. Actually 3/4" to 1", as recommended, would be even better. Carefully, evenly torqueing the aluminum adapters to the hub to 70 ft/lbs and then the wheels to the adapters. They seem to be holding fine and those vintage wheels/hubcaps look great. The car can go back to being a wire wheel car if preferred someday. Thanks again for the advice. The aluminum adapters were only $69.95 for the pair including lug nuts, plus shipping.

Flash75
10-29-2006, 04:44 AM
Thanks for reporting back. Since the adapters are aluminum I would inspect them every few months to be sure they are in good condition.

Clifton

Add your comment to this topic!