Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Passport Check engine & check trans

blainemetfan
10-06-2006, 03:18 PM
I have a '97 Honda Passport.. check engine light is on and we have replaced BOTH catalytic converters, all o2 sensors, EGR valve, and the damn thing still does not want to turn off....Also the check trans light comes on every once in a while and the transmission jerks hard when stopping and accelerating (its an automatic btw). the tranny was rebuilt 2 years ago and we have moved from that state so we cant take it back to that place...why would these problems be occuring.. the engine runs great and it has 93,000 miles on it. hmm??

trooperbc
10-06-2006, 06:26 PM
what are the codes for each the Check Engine Light and the Check Trans Light.
you can get the CEL read at some bigbox parts stores. the tran light may take a trip to the dealer.

you got the codes, find what they are, then go from there
//bc

Ramblin Fever
10-06-2006, 07:06 PM
How old is your alternator?

blainemetfan
10-07-2006, 12:10 PM
I'll get those codes again.... The alternator is brand new, as is the battery. we just replaced both about 2 or 3 weeks ago...

surferfletch
10-07-2006, 12:20 PM
What kind of alternator?

blainemetfan
10-08-2006, 07:40 PM
The only kind that you get when you go to Autozone....

Ramblin Fever
10-08-2006, 08:20 PM

Could be the problem.

Isuzu's don't particularly *like* just any aftermarket alternator, I myself went through 3 Checker's alternators before giving in and buying a $200 one from Bosch - bingo, problem solved.

I'm not saying for sure this IS your issue, but when these Isuzu's get a bad taste from the alternator, they WILL act really weird, transmission included.

Take that alt out, have it bench tested under load, should be nothing less then 14 vlts under load. Anything less, get rid of it, and don't bother with other part store alt's, except maybe Napa - go for a Bosch or an OEM otherwise.

surferfletch
10-08-2006, 09:42 PM

My alternator went bad last November. I ran over to Advance because it was the only place open and they had one in stock. I ran home and put it in only to find it didn't work. I tried a new battery thinking it wasn't the shiny new alternator I put in. Didn't survive a lap around the neighborhood. The next day I bought a new one from NAPA. Has worked well for nearly a year.

Again, might not be your problem...

blainemetfan
10-09-2006, 11:21 PM
wow.. thanks for the suggestions....It has been 2 days (knock on wood) that the tranny has not jerked or the tranny light has come on. Unfortunatly i dont have the funds right now to get another alternator. Great advice for the near future though. Check engine light, of course, is still on. Does reseting the computer really work in taking care of the light? I tried disc the neg. battery cable 4 days ago... then light came on the next day..im going to try and get the codes done tommorrow. i'll keep u guys posted..

Thanks!

Canucklehead
10-10-2006, 07:16 AM
wow.. thanks for the suggestions....It has been 2 days (knock on wood) that the tranny has not jerked or the tranny light has come on. Unfortunatly i dont have the funds right now to get another alternator. Great advice for the near future though. Check engine light, of course, is still on. Does reseting the computer really work in taking care of the light? I tried disc the neg. battery cable 4 days ago... then light came on the next day..im going to try and get the codes done tommorrow. i'll keep u guys posted..

Thanks!You can also reset the CEL and clear any codes by removing the ECM fuse (15A) that is located in the fuse/relay box by the battery. This doesn't cause you to lose all of you radio pre-sets and is actually how AllData.com says to reset the light if you don't have a code reader.

blainemetfan
10-10-2006, 02:26 PM
i'll try that.

Add your comment to this topic!