Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.
99 malibu radio locked?
10-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Hello.. my car's radio is locked. It wont work, and its says loc on the display. We had to replace the battery after it died.. Anyone know how to unlock it? Thank you so much.
10-06-2006, 03:14 PM
If you have the owners manual it explains what happened pretty well. My wife has the car and I can't get at the book until in the morning so if you don't have the book let me know and I'll look then unless someone comes up with a fix first.
The way I remember it is someone put a locking code in the radio via the buttons and when its stolen or power is cut to it you can't get back in unless you know the code.
If you don't have a anti theft code put in then unhooking the battery makes no difference.
I might be rememberign another car but I seem to recall that you have to take it to the dealer if you don't have the unlock code
10-06-2006, 04:05 PM
ya, we dont know where the owner's manual is.. we had to ship the car overseas etc etc.. If you could find out I would appreciate it very much. There is no anti theft on the car.. Thank you so much.
10-06-2006, 04:16 PM
The following procedure will give you a new code that you can use instead of your personal code. Using this new code, you can “unlock” your radio and then “re-lock” it with a new code if you wish. Prerequisites: The radio must be in LOC mode NOT in INOP mode. Let me explain. If you have activated the Theft-Deterrent feature of your radio and loose power, the radio goes into LOC (theftlock) mode. With the ignition on, you must use the MN and HR buttons to enter you personal code in order to unlock it (The instructions are on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual). If you fail to enter the correct code eight (8) times, the radio goes into INOP mode. You have to wait an hour with the ignition on before the radio returns to LOC mode (go for a long drive somewhere).
01. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)
02. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 buttons for six seconds
03. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Don’t take forever, fifteen seconds max before the next step.
04. Press the AM/FM button
05. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.
06. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 03 and the last three digits are form STEP 05
07. Call 1 800 537 5140
08. Press 1 then # (pound). You’ll hear “Invalid Code, try again”
09. Press 139010 then # (pound). You will be asked to enter your four or six digit code followed by * (start)
10. Enter the number from STEP 6 then * (star)
11. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice
12. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)
13. Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from STEP 11
14. Press the AM/FM button. The radio display changes to SEC Your radio is now “un-locked” and usable. The Theft-Deterrent feature is STILL active! If you want to disable it, use the instruction on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual. Use the code from STEP 11 instead of your personal code.
10-06-2006, 05:33 PM
the code worked... thank you so much
Automotive Network, Inc., Copyright ©2013