Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Turbo Problems

ABigWeaney
10-05-2006, 11:23 PM
OK i just bought a 92 eagle talon tsi fwd.. and about at 4500 rpm i hear a air rushing noise and it sounds like the turbo blowing air somewhere besides into the motor. and it doesn't misfire or anything so i don't think it is a boost leak. i also checked all of the intercooler hoses and they are not broke i even replaced them and still does the same thing.. it is a stock td05h turbo and the only thing that is not really stock is the bov..sorry if i did not make the problem clear enough.

caniborrow50cnts
10-06-2006, 02:34 AM
congrats on your first...anyways more info is always good, but from what you say its doing, or sounding like cant be anything else but a boost leak. if you cant find where air is comming out, how can you assume it is without symptoms. it could be air leaking out of the seal in your turbo, but your car would run a little sluggish. if you want to eliminate the possibility of boost leak, get or make a tester (hose, pvc cap, valve stem), use soapy water and spray every part of the intake and force about 15 psi into it with a compressor. ive spent the past 3 weeks doing the same thing, and its not that hard except making the tester air tight. give us some more info.

AbsoluteGTR
10-06-2006, 06:41 AM
I dont think a boost leak is his problem, because he said he runs fine, but my car had the same problem (air rushing sound) and it turned out to be the preload on my wastegate. Look into that, most probably thats is the problem.

ABigWeaney
10-06-2006, 07:41 AM
alright i drove it some more and it boosts from 5 to 10 psi really fast and it doesn't seem to have any more power and it only does it sometimes not all the time

caniborrow50cnts
10-07-2006, 12:10 AM
honestly it doesnt sound like a problem ive ever heard of. about the only thing you can do is watch a boost gauge for unusual drops or increases. the wastegate could be the start of the problem. it shouldnt be a problem unless there is a power loss or excess fuel consumption. air will whistle as it is compressed and forced into a small area.

ABigWeaney
10-07-2006, 11:22 AM
if it was the waste gate, is there any way of testing it? i try to move it with my hand and it wont move at all... or would a new turbo help?

TeamRedLine23
10-18-2006, 09:57 PM
moving the wastegate by hand if very hard to do.

defiancy
10-19-2006, 12:27 AM
Does it just stop boosting at 10psi? And does it have a MBC?

Add your comment to this topic!