Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Shakes

Broketoo
10-05-2006, 06:41 PM
Hey all,

Anyone know what it means when I let go the brake, the car shake very lightly - have to pay attention to feel it, and when i hit gas, it goes smoothly. Though, I am starting to notice the car shakes when starting cold but wasnt sure because a half mile down the road it stopped, thinking it might be the road. Most of the time, car is smooth.

2002 Monte Carlo SS

Rally Sport
10-05-2006, 07:48 PM
I dont know anything that could cause the car to shake, aside from the road or your tires needing to be balanced and rotated.. but both of those have to be when you're moving. the shaking at idle happens to me as well, but its not an everytime/everyday thing.

richtazz
10-06-2006, 11:27 AM
could be due for a tune-up.

reree
10-17-2006, 10:45 AM
check the berrings at the rotor, they may need greese and retightening

richtazz
10-17-2006, 12:15 PM
reree, this car has sealed hub bearings, so there is no regreasing that can be done.

wrightz28
10-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Could be a number of things, what strikes as odd is the fact that it is there after braking, and remedied by accelerating. What I think may be happening, is the tie rod angles are set for thrust angle. Give ya a visual, on your front wheel drive, when it's aligned, the front toe (direction of wheel) is slightly outward. It is set this way due to when the car is accelerating, the torgueing force to pull the car brings the drive tires inward to near straight.

Your problem may be a failing tie rod.

Either way i'd take it in and have it checked out, any shaking from a vehicle is only going to get worse and stop when something breaks.

Add your comment to this topic!