Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

98 GST Spyder is boggin...help!

hotimportguy
10-05-2006, 09:44 AM
At half throttle turbo spools fine there is very little or no problems at all. Once full throttle is applied or if I'm too quick on the gas the car will stutter like crazy like it's choking or miss firing.

Mods include injen intake, turbo xs bov, downpipe, exhaust.

Check engine light is on. Had it checked, computer said it was my o2 sensor saying it was to do with emissions. I have downpipe no cat.

Tune up done recently and didn't correct the problem. Timing belit has not been changed for 50K miles.

I've been told it could be fuel filter, throttle position sensor, or just need boost controller.

Not sure what to do. Don't want to take it to Mitsubishi yet. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Blackcrow64
10-05-2006, 09:49 AM
I would change your plugs, wires, fuel filter, and check your coil voltage. It sounds to be more of an ignition problem than anything else.

Black99GST
10-05-2006, 12:18 PM
could be a boost leak... if changing the plugs, filter and the coil is good, check for a boost leak. :2cents:

4g63gst20
10-05-2006, 01:56 PM
could be spark plugs my gst was doing the same, if i was boosting 10psi it was fine but 11 and up it was bad.

BoostedSpyder
10-16-2006, 02:25 AM
i bet you are venting your BOV. you will have problems if you are doing that. and you probably got a boost leak too. you need to drop a full mod list to really get any help. what IC pipes are you on? stocks with an adapter for the BOV? probably a major boost leak there, at the flange. might be spark plugs but i don't think you are running enough boost. stock plugs are great, and if you just did a tune up they should all be new anyways. might be having ignition problems, these rides are getting pretty old. give some more info...

Thor06
10-16-2006, 09:08 AM
Hmmm, you're throwing a o2 sensor code and its bogging. I am going to put my money on a clogged ass fuel filter.

What about the EGR?

TeamRedLine23
10-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Check engine light is on. Had it checked, computer said it was my o2 sensor saying it was to do with emissions. I have downpipe no cat.

you need a O2 sensor simulator to run a catless downpipe. the O2 simulator will stop the check engine light.

hotimportguy
10-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Checked the fuel pump, cleaned throttle body and choke, replaced stock fuel filter with Wix fuel filter, replaced 7mm Bosch spark plug wires with 9mm JDM Vision Motorworks racing spark plug wires, and installed new NGK G Power Platinum spark plugs. Bingo!

Runs and drives smoother than ever, especially with new tires. Bye bye check engine light.

I'd like to thank everyone for their help. I would've taken it into Mitsu if it wasn't for this forum. Thank you very much!

Add your comment to this topic!