Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Anti-lock brakes have mind of their own!!

Soleman20
08-27-2001, 03:34 PM
My anti-lock brakes come on at random times. For instance, I am at a red light, fully stopped and my pedal starts pulsating. Not as loud or as strong of a feeling in the pedal as when you are sliding on ice but very noticeable.

Sometimes the anti-lock brake light will come on on the dash when I am just driving on the highway...stay on for the whole trip...and then when I reach my destination and shut the car off and back on...the light goes away for another month or so.

I have had it looked at by Infiniti and my mechanic but they both said they can't do anything without the abs light on so they can get the code. Infiniti said dust could have built up in the sensors but there was nothing they could do.

Any clues or experience with this problem?????

Sm00th G2o
09-29-2001, 12:13 PM
My car does that too sometimes... not sitting still, but my ABS light will come on and it wont go off. It happens a lot when I get crazy and start E-Braking. When the ABS light comes it, my wheels lock up and skid when I break hard.

Brian P
10-20-2001, 12:07 AM
its clearly malfunctioning. you should get it checked out asap

in the meantime, you can pull out the ABS fuse under the dashboard to remove it altogether, but that might not be so safe either.

nismo_gt
10-22-2001, 02:50 PM
The easiest thing to do first is try cleaning the sensors
especially if the problem's intermitant
If that doesnt help get a dealer to run a test on the ABS
system (It's probably the Bosch system) which is quite basic

Kickercarg20
10-25-2001, 08:40 PM
I have a 94 g20t and my ABS light comes on to. I called the Infiniti Dealership about the problem they said it was a common problem and you can do two things. One, I could bring it in and they replace the relay that burnt out (which is what the problem is, the relay) for 100 dollars or I could go under my hood and (i know this sounds getto but believe it works) and hit the small black box right in front of the ABS unit. Now, i wouldn't mind paying 100 dollars to get it fixed the problem i have is this place is over an hour and a half away from me and thats the only place that can do it under warranty. So try both things, one note, if you decide to use the getto hitting method the light is not going to stay off forever but mine hasn't come on but 4 times in the past year and a half. Also if you dont get it to turn off when you turn your car off you will run your battery down.

FlossinPrimera
10-25-2001, 11:11 PM
MY ABS light comes on and stays on when I get stuck in snow, It might be a brake overheating problem.

ahc400
10-27-2001, 09:07 PM
my '96 G has the same problem. whenever it feels like it the brake pedal will aggitate and there will be a load groan that comes from the engine bay. when this happens is seems to be draining power, because the RPMs will drop slightly and the dash lights will dim. the dealer says it is the wheel sensors that are bad and that 3 need replacing. since dreyer & reinbold infiniti in indianapolis are contantly trying to rip off infiniti owners i'm not sure i believe that they need replacing, but i am sure that the sensors are the problem as another dealer got the same codes but wasn't sure how to fix them.

Add your comment to this topic!