Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil pan gasket leak 95 3.0 $700 to fix

nonewcars
10-04-2006, 11:49 PM
This is crazy. To replace the oil pan gasket, you have to drop the transmission. What was FORD thinking other than taking our money. The gasket is protruding out of the pan at the front of the motor. Anyone every try to use some RTV type sealant of other gasket sealant to try and stop one of these from leaking? I'm going to try and push the gasket back in, tighten the bolts, and then put gasket sealant all around the oil pan.
What a crock of %$#%

Fuely
10-07-2006, 01:41 PM
The reason the gasket is squeezing out is because there is 2 locating tabs on the the end seal that overhang into the pan that keep it in place. After years they break off and fall into the pan.So theres nothing to keep the gasket in place. You could try dropping the front of the pan and trying silicone sealer,but no guarantee .

travismcd
10-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Please let me know what you have done about the oil leak. I have the same problem on my 97.

94FordGuy
12-03-2006, 05:24 AM
You dont have to drop the trans.just jack up the motor/trans for clearance

Scrapper
12-03-2006, 08:22 AM
i agree you don't have to drop tranny..do it the way he said about jacking it up....

nonewcars
03-16-2007, 02:07 PM
Okay, I'm back on this again. I have had the VAN parked for several months. When you say Jack up the transmission and motor, do you mean just stick a jack under it and jack it up a little so the oli plan can slide out? Or do you have to unbolt anything before jacking them up?

I hope this works.

Thanks

Fredoe37
05-16-2007, 06:37 PM
You will have to unbolt the engine mount bolts (not easy)...I think its 3 of them. Then you will be able to raise the engine enough to remove that oil pan. Its very important to also install a new oil pump at this time as it sits in the pan as well...dont just replace the pan gasket as the oil pump on this vehicle is notoriously bad...the oil pump cost around 50 bux but will be around a grand to replace at the dealer when it goes bad and it WILL go bad. The geniuses at ford decided to put that bar directly under the oil pan to insure that the novice will more than likely take it to the dealer rather than raise that engine and save himself about 800 bux.

THEFARELANEMAN
07-21-2007, 11:37 PM
Aerostars offer alot of truck for the buck and the market is flooded with good used ones. The bad news is you need to be a pretty good mechanic to keep one going for long without eating up your value with repair bills.I say everyone needs to have a service manual and use it. If you dont understand it the first time read it several times. Im not sending some mechanics kid to law school.

fy171
09-11-2007, 08:34 AM
i change my by removing water pump houseing and timeing chain cover installed new gasket took about 6 hours ,still working fine

nonewcars
11-01-2008, 01:13 PM
I finally took this to a mechanic. He was able to repair the gasket by removing the started and dropping the front of the oil pan. He pushed the gasket back into place along with a very strong adhesive (sorry don't know what it was) and re-tightened the bolts. Its been running for 6 months with no oil leak. But now I have a power steering leak. It never ends. Costs 350 dollars to fix the oil leak. Better than $750.

Add your comment to this topic!