Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

brake light problems

ks_cowboy
10-04-2006, 07:08 PM
I have been searching the boards and have found a lot of info on this problem, buy i still haven't solved it. I don't have any brake lights ever. I replaced the stop switch, checked the yellow relay box in the trunk (no burnt spots), checked the wiring by the trunk hinge (no broken wires). I am looking for suggestions. Is there any way to test the yellow relay box to see if it is working correctly, what color are the brake wires in the harness? Thanks Ross

somick
10-04-2006, 08:14 PM
I hope somebody with knowledge of exact problem will come over and help you.

If nobody will, I am being an elctrician can suggest you a test. If something comes into the box, something should go out. Can you test if power gets in and if power goes out?

Sam

Brian R.
10-04-2006, 08:33 PM
I didn't see you state that you replaced the bulbs...

Sorry, stupid comment

ks_cowboy
10-04-2006, 08:44 PM
I'm sorry i left out that i'd replaced the bulbs, but they have been replaced

Brian R.
10-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Check to see if you get power across the stop switch when you press the brake pedal. (Check voltage - should go from 12 V to 0 V when pressed). Then check the voltage at the relay, with and without the brakes. If the relay doesn't see a voltage difference (to ground) when the brakes are pressed, but the stop switch does, then the problem is between the switch and the relay. If both see a change then the problem is after the relay in the circuit. If the brake switch sees no difference, then either the switch is not being activated or there is no voltage getting to the switch. Then the problem is between the battery and the switch.

The wiring by the hinge could be broken internally and not be visible.

There may be a fuse in the engine compartment or by the drivers legs that could be controlling the brake lights.

Add your comment to this topic!