Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

97 Rodeo, 4x4

HI JOHN
10-04-2006, 06:22 PM
Hello all ! Here is my delema, I want to change my automatic 4x4 to manual 4x4. Here is the problem, My 4x4 does not engage, I trouble shot the problem and one of the vacuum acutuators is not working and the vacumm motor actuator is not working eather. I have tired so hard to find a replacement at the local junk yars and even on the internet with no luck so far. I have found both parts at the Stealer, The pair of vacuum actuators for $200 and the actuator motor for $205. With a grand total of $423. with tax. As I'm replacing my T-belt right now and will spend $650, I just cant afford another $400 for the 4x4.

Here is the solution Ive been tihinking about. I was reading where I can put manual hubs on my rodeo, this will cost me $60 on ebay. I have the report on how to doit and is very simple. Step 2 once ive replaced the hubs I will remove the vacuum motor actuator and liveit engaged all the time. Howver the hubs will be desengaged and the 4x4 will only work when I lock the hubs and put the trans on 4H or 4L.

Please let me know what do you thinK. Im sure this will work just fine. I'm not a mechanic by trade, but like to work in my own cars.
Thanks. My car has 114K:grinyes:

NJFrank
10-13-2006, 08:45 PM
I think there is a fix somewhere on this site. Did you try searching, also try googling it. I have the same prob on my 96, and remember seeing something, but haven't had time to address it.

I believe there is a fix for the actuator, could also be a hose connection if I recall correctly. Maybe someone else will chime in. Don't know about the manual hub solution.

Let me know how you make out

Good Luck.

HI JOHN
10-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Good news!:naughty: I was able to fix my 4x4 for a minimal aoumont of money. Like I told you guys on the prvious posting, I put manual hubs and reset the 4x4 vacuum pump so it will be engage. It all took me no more than one hour work. I test drove the car and drives like new.
Here is what I did.

I removed the two front wheels. 2. I removed the six bolt that hold the hub. 3. I removed the C/ clamp. 3. I removed the permanent hub. 4. I put RTV on the New 4x4 manual hub and put it in. 5. I put the C/clamp back and the rest of the hub. That's all job half way done.

Second I removed the Vacuum pump actuator. Once you remove the pump, you'll se a big C/clamp that moves from side to side. Move the calamp to the right and do the same with the gear in the differential. Very easy to do, you'll see. Once this is all done, put some RTV gasket and put the 4 bolts back.

One last step. There are 3 vacuum hoses that connect to the Vaccum switches. Turn the car on and remove one hose at a time to see whitch one is the one with the vacuum. Once you found it you connect that one to the vaccum pump on the upper side. This is done, so there will allways be vaccum on that side and the motor won't desengage by accident.

Final product. In order to use 4x4 you will have to manually engage the hubs on both wheels and shift the grear to 4H or 4L. That's Awsome, you will all ways have 4X4 when you deed it. If you have questions please let me know.

Very easy to do. I found the New Manual Hubs on E-bay for $70some dollars.

Add your comment to this topic!