Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Swapping ECU's

Mikelb
10-04-2006, 03:45 PM
I have a friend trying to sell me an EPROM ECU to go in my car...
They are both '91 Talons... but his is an AWD ATX
mine is a FWD 5Spd... will it work?

b/c $150 isn't a bad price for a EPROM ECU, but it is a lot for a circuit board I can't use...

nofear39427
10-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Well I got too searching about on this topic on google and the way it looks is that the Ecu might work but the cars would have to be the same year model.I am a little skeetchy on the whole awd to fwd ecu swap because it seems that the awd would have a different code or something.But hey it never hurts to try..or does it?

nofear39427
10-04-2006, 09:43 PM
sorry to post twice my computer is acting up and i didnt finish.
Here is something else that may be helpful to you.

The alternative, a non-EPROM ECU, does not have an EPROM. Instead, the program is stored inside the microcontroller itself (technically, in embedded EPROM memory that is part of the microcontroller). This makes it hard to change the ECU programming, because the microcontroller needs to be replaced. These are difficult to get, and require special programming tools that are equally difficult to find.

GooD LucK MaN:smokin:

Dsm89
10-05-2006, 02:29 AM
so the ecu is made for a awd an yours isnt ummmm....... it depends on motor size really

Mikelb
10-05-2006, 07:31 AM
sorry to post twice my computer is acting up and i didnt finish.
Here is something else that may be helpful to you.

The alternative, a non-EPROM ECU, does not have an EPROM. Instead, the program is stored inside the microcontroller itself (technically, in embedded EPROM memory that is part of the microcontroller). This makes it hard to change the ECU programming, because the microcontroller needs to be replaced. These are difficult to get, and require special programming tools that are equally difficult to find.

GooD LucK MaN:smokin:

EPROMS are socketed (Right?)... so I could drop in the chip to run DSMLink

nofear39427
10-05-2006, 08:55 AM
If your talking abour reprogramming the ecu .good luck like i said last night it is very difficult and you can screw the ecu up.

Mikelb
10-05-2006, 09:42 AM
If your talking abour reprogramming the ecu .good luck like i said last night it is very difficult and you can screw the ecu up.

no, DSMLink is a piggyback fuel controller/datalogger...

it allows you to tune the car...

scottsee
10-05-2006, 10:05 AM
no, DSMLink is a piggyback fuel controller/datalogger...

it allows you to tune the car...

Who told you that??. 91-94 turbo ecu's are interchangeable.

Mikelb
10-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Who told you that??. 91-94 turbo ecu's are interchangeable.

you can go to the DSMLink website...

it helps you monitor things so you can tune better... but you have to have a socketed ECU, to put their chip in for the default values

and I wasn't certain a/b swapping the ECU's, that's why I asked...

P.S.- Sorry, I said it was a piggyback fuel computer... I was incorrect.. I mean a datalogger... I was confusing it with my AFC...

Black99GST
10-05-2006, 12:23 PM
lol any eprom, from 91-94 will work in your car just fine... the FWD computers have a speed limiter at 137mph... the AWD ones have no speed limiter... your choice. i have a AWD computer in my FWD running just fine! and DSMlink is NOT a piggyback. it doesnt over-ride or change anything to "Trick" the computer... it changes the computer. FYI. ok, thats all.

Mikelb
10-05-2006, 01:19 PM
lol any eprom, from 91-94 will work in your car just fine... the FWD computers have a speed limiter at 137mph... the AWD ones have no speed limiter... your choice. i have a AWD computer in my FWD running just fine! and DSMlink is NOT a piggyback. it doesnt over-ride or change anything to "Trick" the computer... it changes the computer. FYI. ok, thats all.

OK, sounds good a/b the ECU... yeah, I know what the DSMLink does... I'm just stumbling over my words today... I was up til 1 last night working on the Talon... I'm very sleep deprived (I had to write this paragraph a/b 3 times, b/c of all the misspellings/typos)

Add your comment to this topic!