Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

hood latch

bjboertje
10-04-2006, 11:22 AM
my hood won't latch all the way down. it is currently only latching to the secondary one that you lift after you pop the hood. it wants to lift up at 60+ mph. anyone else have this problem or know an easy way to fix it? dealer says 60 bucks for a new one! i may just have to find one in a junkyard.

Markb873
10-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Just replace it junk/dealer whatever. Don't try to fix it, it just sucks having a hood hit your windshield.

alphalanos
10-04-2006, 11:42 AM
check to make sure your hood release lever inside the car isnt sticking. Mine did that and I had to push the lever back into place after pulling it.

buttnekked
10-04-2006, 07:14 PM
oil latch and check rubber stoppers that support closed hood. All else fails junk yard or ebay would be your best bet.

Markb873
10-04-2006, 10:02 PM
check to make sure your hood release lever inside the car isnt sticking. Mine did that and I had to push the lever back into place after pulling it.

Mine has done that for years. i see i'm not the only one.

pre98zetec
10-05-2006, 11:10 AM
get it fixed before it flies up and you end up in an accident.

KimMG
10-05-2006, 02:21 PM
Markb873-

Please repair it soon. It is no fun being on a freeway with a car when the hood goes flying. I saw someone's hood fly up and smack the windshield, then tear partially off and drag on the side of the car. The driver must have been startled because he then drove across several lanes on the freeway without regard to other motorists. What would have been a simple nut and bolt repair that probably would have cost less than $100- and taken a couple of hours is now probably ten times. He will have to replace the hood, possibly a fender, hood hinges, windshield and trim, might of had some damage to the area where the roof meets the windshield.

bjboertje-

Don't forget to inspect the pin (the part that is connected to the hood) to make sure it is not damaged or worn. If it does not enough of a shoulder on it, it will not be able to grip or lock into the latch. Make sure all the parts are clean and lubricated so they can move easily, make sure the return spring is doing its job.

bjboertje
10-05-2006, 03:57 PM
took it to a dealer to look at it after i lubed it up and all that. they said there is a plastic part on the release cable that is broken. the hood is latched for now, until i find another cable.

Add your comment to this topic!