Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power steering loss !!!

Blain-Talon
10-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Sorry I didn't see the problem diagnose thread so I am posting here. I am new here:::

Ok guys, my name is Dawn and I am an Eagle Talon owner. I take very good care of my car - fix it when it has a problem - constant upkeep of oil changes, fluid checks and filters ie/ tune-ups.

Yesterday morning the scariest thing in the world happened to me. I was pulling into a store and my front-right tire hit the incline kinda hard and I lost my power steering. Thinking it a fluke because I kinda stalled a bit, the mechanic I see checked my front-end and said everything was fine.

This morning, same thing happened, same place. Then again after I got to work, I turned left though, I didn't hit any bumps, nothing, just pulled out into traffic and there was a horrible noise form under my hood that sounded like a starter not getting the gumption to start a car - even though I WAS in fact started - and I lost my power steering again - almost headed into a ditch.

For some time now I have had a chirping sound in my vent when I have my air/heat on. This chirping intensifies when I turn left/right, hit certain bumps on the right side of my car, or when I press my foot on the gas going faster than 55mph. I don't know if this has anything to do with the other... just stating it for any ones help.

I am scared to drive home today guys... I don't want to lose my powersteering on the freeway.

:frown:

Does anyone have any suggestions for what is wrong with my baby!?!...

Shpyder
10-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Hi. Welcome to AF (I just sent you a PM). Please put the year/make/model/modifications of your car in your sig so people can get back to you quicker.

One of the more classic indicators of powersteering loss are a loud whinning/moaning sound coming from the steering as you turn. Have you checked your PS fluid?

Also, check the axel/joint area where the stress and impact occured. It could have broken something if it happened with enough intensity. Have the vehicle lifted and inspect the damage yourself (lest mecahnics try to rip you off by saying "oh you need a new engine!", etc).

Blain-Talon
10-04-2006, 11:17 AM
Hello and thank you for replying!

Yes, that was the first thing I did was pull up into the parking lot and check my fluids. The power-steering fluid was fine. That confused me. I took the day off yesterday as I work out of town, and took it to a mechanic. He hoisted it up, sat under it for some time looking and prodding and pulling and poking, said my front end was all tight but that my struts needed replaced.

I've heard the sound of power steering wrenching, the noise it made today when I was simply pulling out of a driveway was up in the engine, and it didn't sound like the powersteering squeek I have heard before. It sounded like a starter that couln't get off - you know like when a cillinoid is bad? - ree ree ree... lol

Only my car was running... and then poof there went the power steering. When it kicked back in my whole car lurched forward.

I was already at work so I stayed... but I am truly concerned about driving it home.

Blain
1993 Eagle Talon

Shpyder
10-04-2006, 01:53 PM
Duplicate posts are a no-no!

Add your comment to this topic!