Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Help??? anyone...?

Blain-Talon
10-04-2006, 10:17 AM
Ok guys, my name is Dawn and I am an Eagle Talon owner. I take very good care of my car - fix it when it has a problem - constant upkeep of oil changes, fluid checks and filters ie/ tune-ups.

Yesterday morning the scariest thing in the world happened to me. I was pulling into a store and my front-right tire hit the incline kinda hard and I lost my power steering. Thinking it a fluke because I kinda stalled a bit, the mechanic I see checked my front-end and said everything was fine.

This morning, same thing happened, same place. Then again after I got to work, I turned left though, I didn't hit any bumps, nothing, just pulled out into traffic and there was a horrible noise form under my hood that sounded like a starter not getting the gumption to start a car - even though I WAS in fact started - and I lost my power steering again - almost headed into a ditch.

For some time now I have had a chirping sound in my vent when I have my air/heat on. This chirping intensifies when I turn left/right, hit certain bumps on the right side of my car, or when I press my foot on the gas going faster than 55mph. I don't know if this has anything to di with the other... just stating it for any ones help.

I am scared to drive home today guys... I don't want to lose my powersteering on the freeway.

:frown:

Does anyone have any suggestions for what is wrong with my baby!?!...

l_eclipse_l
10-04-2006, 11:18 AM
So your power steering comes back? Usually when it goes out, it's gone until you find what broke and replace it, which usually ends up being the pump. How many miles on the car and what type of Talon is it?

Blain-Talon
10-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Yes sorry I didn't put that in I am new... I have a 1993 Eagle Talon - 157,000 miles on it. I treat her real good.

Yes, it came back, it just pops out for a minute and comes back in, but this morning it was accompanied by a sound - akin to a bad starter, you know ree ree ree... LOL

Anyway I have heard the sound of power steering wrenching/moaning... this was further up in the engine of the car and didn't sound similar at all, and when it finally kicked back in after I managed to save myself from a ditch, the car lurched ahead really hard!

Thank you, so much, for replying.

Blain
1993 Eagle Talon

Thor06
10-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Is it a turbo car? If so AWD or FWD? Your starter shouldnt be making any noise, I almost wonder if your tensioner shit isnt bolted down all the way. That is an odd problem, never heard of anything like that.

Blain-Talon
10-04-2006, 12:15 PM
My starter isn't making any noise, I just used that as an example of the sound it made when I pulled out of the driveway this morning - accompanied with the loss of power steering.

It's FWD.

You're telling me it's a wierd problem? lol - boy do I know... everyone I ask is like uhhhh... uhmmm... hmmmm

:banghead:

Blain-Talon
10-04-2006, 12:18 PM
I am guessing it is a turbo car - I am unsure other than what the book in front of me says which is: Eagle Talon - 1993. I have manual overdrive, and a power button for my transmission as well located by the shifter -- does that make it a turbo? :icon16:

At any rate, thank you anyways.

Blain
Eagle Talon - 1993

4g63gst20
10-04-2006, 12:27 PM
I am guessing it is a turbo car - I am unsure other than what the book in front of me says which is: Eagle Talon - 1993. I have manual overdrive, and a power button for my transmission as well located by the shifter -- does that make it a turbo? :icon16:

At any rate, thank you anyways.

Blain
Eagle Talon - 1993

if it looks like this, it's a turbo, the needle on the left lower corner right under the rpm needle is for the turbo.
http://www.1baddsm.com/pics/in/boost-dash-talon.jpg

Blain-Talon
10-04-2006, 12:34 PM
Thank you so much for that well-needed picture, and no Sirs, it is NOT a turbo.

Blain
Eagle Talon 1993

caniborrow50cnts
10-04-2006, 01:57 PM
the chirping is prolly a loose belt. if it is chirping more with the a/c on then you probably need to tighten that one, or replace it if its worn. this is a big problem though because your water pump is on the pully your ps is spun with. the loss of ps is probably from the water pump not spinning from the belt slipping more when the a/c is drawing extra power.

Blain-Talon
10-05-2006, 07:08 AM
Yes, thank you all so much.

I apologize - again - for the duplicate thread: my bad. :nono:

You have all pointed me in the right direction to find the broken belt tensioner bolt that was pinning my belt to the pulley and causing both my alternator and my power steering pump to fail when it slipped; pretty much anytime I hit a bump.

I hope this post may help anyone else in the future who may encounter the same strange problem.

Blain-Talon

SLoe
10-05-2006, 10:12 PM
Nice post^^^ thumbs up!

Add your comment to this topic!