Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Cavy VATS problem. TDM.

Bassasasin
10-04-2006, 09:30 AM
I am looking at a 96 Cavilier's VATS problem (my friend's).. Out of nowhere it starts comming up with key problems. Security..

Basically it wont run in run mode after it fires in start mode and comes up with security key error codes.
The TDM (Theft Deterent Module) will not allow it to run but will crank fire. Figure its not allowing injector pulses.

What Ive done.:banghead:
Ive looked at the wiring color codes in my resoruces (Mitchell) and the wires in the car dont match any Cavlier colors to the key tumbler. I changed years around and still nothing matched. I have black 3 wire strip from the tumbler with one line coded white. I looked at the circuit device in the tumbler and it seems to sense a magnet on the tumbler and sends a resistor value fixed in the tumbler module to the TDM. So basically the tumbler now holds the old resistor pellet. Tried defaulting the sensor by replacing its .547k resistor (in tumbler) in circuit with no help. Dont know why it has a .547k either.. havent found that value as a noted value anywhere.

Im thinking of just illiminating the TDM.

Anyone done this? Any Ideas?
Any quick advice on this change?

MT-2500
10-04-2006, 09:38 AM
I am looking at a 96 Cavilier's VATS problem (my friend's).. Out of nowhere it starts comming up with key problems. Security..

Basically it wont run in run mode after it fires in start mode and comes up with security key error codes.
The TDM (Theft Deterent Module) will not allow it to run but will crank fire. Figure its not allowing injector pulses.

What Ive done.:banghead:
Ive looked at the wiring color codes in my resoruces (Mitchell) and the wires in the car dont match any Cavlier colors to the key tumbler. I changed years around and still nothing matched. I have black 3 wire strip from the tumbler with one line coded white. I looked at the circuit device in the tumbler and it seems to sense a magnet on the tumbler and sends a resistor value fixed in the tumbler module to the TDM. So basically the tumbler now holds the old resistor pellet. Tried defaulting the sensor by replacing its 5.47k resistor (in tumbler) in circuit with no help. Dont know why it has a 5.47k either.. havent found that value noted as a value anywhere.

Im thinking of just illiminating the TDM.

Anyone done this? Any Ideas?
Any quick advice on this change?

Proper testing would be a good start.
Try to get the code from VATS system and it may point to the problem.
Post back any codes you get.
MT

Bassasasin
10-04-2006, 10:30 AM
Yes.. thanks.. looking right now at the resistor. its 570 Ohms.
Did read codes.. they say its the key security.

Thanks.

MT-2500
10-04-2006, 11:10 AM
Yes.. thanks.. looking right now at the resistor. its 570 Ohms.
Did read codes.. they say its the key security.

Thanks.

What was the code no?
MT

Add your comment to this topic!