Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil Light...

kasparsport
10-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Hi all...My oil light goes on in my van then goes off. This will happen when I first use it in the morning for about 30 minutes...then it will go away until the next day, when I first start it up. Anyone else have this problem. Could it be just a sensor or something. Thanks for any replies......

1999 Dodge Caravan....

beachbummm
10-03-2006, 03:49 PM
Sounds like a weak oil pump, cold thick oil is harder to pump, as it heats up it thins out and pumps E-Zer...Do you hear knocking when the light is on or when the motor is cold??

RIP
10-03-2006, 04:39 PM
First, the last thing you want to do is run the engine with the oil light on. The light is telling you the engine may not be getting enough oil pressure to lubricate the engine components. This leads to excessive wear and short engine life.

The only way to know for sure if there is enough pressure is to connect a direct pressure gauge and verify it's within specs. If it is and you still get the light then change the sensor. Short of that, dump in a can of engine flush then change the oil and filter using the correct viscocity. Light still on? Change the sensor. Light still on? Change the pump.

kasparsport
10-04-2006, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the replies...the first thing I did when I saw the light was to listen for any knocking...(which I didnt)...now I'll give it an oil change, see what happens...Is a new oil pump a big job??

Stretch58
10-04-2006, 02:20 PM
Has the engine been using some oil?

Add your comment to this topic!