Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Synthetic oil

FREED0MFiST
09-03-2002, 04:03 PM
Im thinking about switching over to synthetic oil... prob mobile one cause i hear thats the best. My question is, is it worth it? I have 43,000 miles on my d16y8... i hear you shouldnt switch to synthetic after 50,000. Can i get some imput like pros and cons?

jimmyfunk
09-03-2002, 06:03 PM
from what i understand (anyone who knows better please agree or disprove this) you should be fine switching over....but sometimes it is recommended to run a synthetic blend for an oil change or two before you switch over to straight synthetic....sometimes when you get build-up in your engine.....your engine gets used to the build-up being there and it will slowly begin to change the motion of your internals. If you rapidly take all of this gunk out (by all of a sudden using a better performing oil) the engine will be forced to change its internal operation quickly.....which it doesn't like to do. I've heard that by slowly making the conversion to synthetic, you're engine will have an opportunity to slowly adjust to the change. Below 50,000 miles....i'm not sure if it matters.....but it couldn't hurt.

jimmyfunk
09-03-2002, 06:10 PM
also.....this site is a must-read if you're interested in learning about your oil....
http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/engineoil_bible.html

sneaker68
09-06-2002, 01:06 AM
I've read a lot on the Amsoil sites and it seems like an engine flush treatment is best before switching to synthetics. To treat the engine, they say remove old oil filter, replace w/ new one, pour in treatment (which replaces oil lost in old filter), and let the car idle for about 20-30 minutes, drain and replace w/ a new filter again and add syn oil. It was something to that effect, see their various sites to be sure. I don't know which is the best oil, I'm looking for that answer myself.

lschultz
09-06-2002, 01:35 PM
http://www.amsoil.com/ and you can read all about Amsoil.I had a 92 Civic VX that had over 100000 on it when I switched it over to Amsoil 0W30(made to take the place of 5W30/10W30)Never had any leaks on it and it did not use any oil.Wife bought a 2000 Accord EX V6>put it on 0w30 at 7500.Daughter has 2001 M.Elcipse its on 0w30.I have 2000 Dodge/Cummins put it on amsoil after 10000.Use 5w30 Diesel oil in it.My son has a 99 Dodge and he has been using the 5w30 from 10000.I think now he has around 104000.They have a tech line if you have any questions you can email them.Amsoil came out in 1972 it was the first.It might cost you a little more up front but if you put the pencil to it you will see that it is cheaper plus all the other benefits.

Drifter To Be
09-07-2002, 11:47 AM
Yeah.
I'm going straight synthetic with my new car.
(don't got it yet but soon...)

My friend he bought like an Accord 4dr 1 year ago then he switched to Castrol's synthetic oil and he said that he could really feel the difference in his engine after the switch. He said that his friend works at Benz and showed him an engine that has been using synthetic oil for about 4 years and the engine still shines like new. I don't know if its true but that's what he said. I think both Castrol's and Mobil1 synthetic oils are both good but it just probably just based on personal preferance. Me? I'm going to try both synthetic oils out to see which one I like more.:D

rx racer
09-12-2002, 08:35 AM
Sythetic oil is the best. I use nothing but Mobil 1 15-50W in my engines.

sneaker68
09-16-2002, 06:01 PM
Drifter to be,
Castrol isn't really a full synthetic, not many of the are. Just read an interesting site that gives a lot of info: www.bobistheoilguy.com. Read up on synthetics. It is almost discouraging to read because it puts you back to square one (where I am) wondering which product to buy. This site even says that Amsoil (which I've heard is one of the top oils) isn't fully synthetic and WASN'T the first (Amsoil claims to be). Good luck.
Sneaker68

Add your comment to this topic!