Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

transfer case help

fuufman
10-02-2006, 06:23 PM
I have a small leak from my transfer case.I don't have the time to fix it right now , so I am gonna check the fluid now and then and put some oil in if it needs it.I checked it today for the first time and when I unscrewed the filler bolt the oil started gushing out.I thuoght that when the transfer case is full it's only filled up too the bottom of the filler hole.How was there oil flowing out of the filler hole?I didn't use the 4 wheel drive and the truck was sitting over night so the oil should have settled on thr bottom of the case.Could it have been overfilled last time it was changed?

TcmaBoy
10-02-2006, 07:28 PM
It could be that the case was over filled. The fluid is only supposed to be up to the plug. Where is the leak from?

fuufman
10-02-2006, 08:22 PM
It's leaking from where the front driveshaft connects to the transfercase.I assume there is a seal in there that is worn out.How is it possible to overfill the transfercase? Maybe pump the fluid in and hurry up and put the bolt back on.

TcmaBoy
10-02-2006, 08:39 PM
I have seen shops that over fill. They pump it until it spews and the pop the plug in.

fuufman
10-02-2006, 10:01 PM
I guess if it's overfilled I want have to check it for awhile.

Flash75
10-08-2006, 12:30 PM
I would remove the plug and let it drain to the proper level. Draining it to the proper level may help.

Clifton

Add your comment to this topic!