Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Water in Coolant Resivior

david-b
10-02-2006, 03:13 PM
The other day after I ran throught that big puddle I checked out the plugs, oil level, and jsut regular stuff. I looked in my coolant resivior and it had water in it. No green at all. It smelled really bad too. Now, my tank has a hole in it where it rubbed up against the belt, so the tank is never full above that line. I find it weird though to find it filled with water though. Any ideas? I really need a tank so I'm going to the dealer to get one and a bracket (cut up). Any ideas on what's going on here?

Also, the engine temp gauge inside never fully reads 1/2 way anymore. It'll get about 1/4 and not move any higher. I know it's not running cooler, but it seems to be kinda useless to look at now.

Killa
10-02-2006, 03:30 PM
How old is your termostat ? my rs temperture use to do that, until I bought a new one.

eclipsed at 3am
10-02-2006, 05:11 PM
i know you are gonna hate this but....

on a gst the coolant resevoir is on the other side, away from the belts...lol

sorry dude lol. i would suggest replacing the thermostat and that resevoir, and then get a coolant flush. Do you have a lack of performance or steaming from under the hood? its possible that you could be running hot and there isnt enough coolant to tell the sensor what the temp is. my first car, a 90 talon es, would get coolant leaks all the time. when the coolant was all drained out after driving it, i would park it at night, start it up in the morning and drive the 10-15 miles to work, and the gauge would barely move until about 8 miles. then it would bury at hot. by then i was too far from home and already late for work. make sure you get that checked man.

david-b
10-02-2006, 05:25 PM
I dont have any steaming. I did have that happen once before. The last resivoir I had had a hole in it too, and eventually it got to the point where it did steam and overheated then. I replaced it right away then. Actually, I don't think the themistate has worked the same since then, now that I think about it. I'll buy a new tank and then flush it out then. I've got to get that this week.

I've been driving 40 miles on saturday at a time, and the needle won't go above a quarter. However, it doesn't get steamy or anything. Also, is there a light that's supposed to come on when the coolant is low? I've never had one come on.

eclipsed at 3am
10-02-2006, 06:59 PM
i thought there was too...but i havnt seen one come on in the 2g dsms. both of my 1g dsms did though.

Killa
10-02-2006, 10:06 PM
How can you have hole in your resivior ? I remember my rs resivior got destroy by the power steeling pully. cause it fall off the bracket.

david-b
10-02-2006, 11:01 PM
That is how it is. It fell off the bracket because I had to cut the bracket for the last coolant tank. That one had a hole on the bracket side, so I put some liquid weld on it and then cut the bracket down so it would fit. Worked perfect until the tank itself decided to take a shit. So I bought a new one, and now the bracket is too small. So now I need a new bracket and a new tank.

Add your comment to this topic!