Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

90 Grand Prix Auto to Standard swap

88GrandPrixSE
10-02-2006, 03:03 PM
I was wondering if anyone here knows if there are any differences between the bodies (brackets and what-not) on automatic and standard 88-90 Grand Prixs. I have a 90 Grand Prix SE Auto O/D and I finally found an 89 Grand Prix SE 5-speed car at an autowrecker. If I remove everything (pedal assembly, tranny, axels, flywheel, cables.. blah blah blah) from the 89, will it bolt right into my 90 auto? Or will there be brackets missing?

Thanks in advance!

richtazz
10-03-2006, 09:25 AM
You would also need the entire wiring harness and ECM for the manual trans due to different sensors/prom calibrations between the two trans. The trans mount is different in the manual, but the attachment point on the frame should be there if you take the mount with the trans. This is a VERY involved swap, so unless you are VERY mechanically inclined, I'd advise against attempting it.

88GrandPrixSE
10-03-2006, 03:13 PM
I am very mechanically inclined, worked as a mechanic since i was 16, and I just finished my other project, I converted an 87 Mustang GT to a 92 Mustang GT which includes changing the entire harness, ecm, putting air bags where there were none before, putting shoulder strap seat belts in the back when it should have lap belts among other things, so a little work doesn't scare me.

I won't bother changing the wiring harness as a standard trans doesn't even need any wiring, all it needs is the reverse light which I can wire up myself, car doesn't need to know what's goin on inside the tranny, only I do.

Other than that everything should just bolt in though, right? No welding in brackets and what-not?

Thanks a lot!

richtazz
10-04-2006, 07:21 AM

I won't bother changing the wiring harness as a standard trans doesn't even need any wiring, all it needs is the reverse light which I can wire up myself, car doesn't need to know what's goin on inside the tranny, only I do.

Other than that everything should just bolt in though, right? No welding in brackets and what-not?

Thanks a lot!

You don't care about the cel being on due to no TCC/shift solenoid signal, nor do you care how fast you're going? The manual trans uses a different VSS, so the ECM and harness for the manual trans are necessary.

Add your comment to this topic!