Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Brake drag

Boiler_guy22
10-02-2006, 11:58 AM
I had to replace the rear pads this weekend because they were down to the warning bar. After replacing the pads I noticed I could hear the brakes dragging while I was driving, its not real bad but its enough to notice and to heat up my brakes. Any suggestions? I don't see any leaks at the master cylinder and the brakes feel good, they just don't completely release.

Blazer SS
10-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Did you re grease your pins? Please make sure that you have completely blead your rear breaks.

alblogg
10-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Yep might need to check them out before you glaze or crack them new pads.You can spend the time cleaning the pins if they are rusty or corrode or buy a new set and get some white lithium grease and put some where they slide not a whole tub just enough to keep metal from metal.

muddog321
10-02-2006, 07:00 PM
Looks like a 99 so 98up have single piston rear calipers that once you push them back in most always cock or jam in the bore so I always replace with rebuilts and as stated pull the rubber boots and pins out of the bracket and make sure they slide freely. For others - but "loaded" calipers with a rebuilt caliper, pins, bracket, and disc pads - best way to go.

BlazerLT
10-02-2006, 07:04 PM
Did you completely push the cylinder back into the caliper?

If you don't push them all the way back then they won't release fully.

Boiler_guy22
10-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks for all the help all. I think someone has already said this but its a 99 4X4 with 4 wheel disc brakes, the calipers have a single piston. I did grease the rear caliper pins. I have yet to change the pads on the front. The reason I noticed the problem at all was that I ate through the pads on the back. At first I thought that it was just time to change the pads. It was only after I changed the back pads that I noticed the front brakes were heating up too. Is it pretty common to have all the calipers need grease at once? Maybe I should just pull the calipers on the front and grease the pins before I go much further, the rear brakes seem fine now. No one votes for master cylinder problems? What about the antilock brake system? I'm new to antilocks. My 1972 pickup didn't have them.
Thanks again.

1996LTOwner
10-14-2006, 02:48 AM
My '96 rear brakes were dragging and ate up the shoes. Found the E-brake cable housing had rusted through and would not allow the cable to fully release. Had to replace the cable.

Add your comment to this topic!