Engine life

tacticaltal
10-02-2006, 03:19 AM
Hi guys,

Mine is a 2000 Avalon w/ 180,000 miles. I'm curious to know what the avg life for these engines are. There doesn't seem to be any problems at this time; we try to keep oil changed every 3K. I appreciate any sugggestions for preventive maintanence.

Thanks

RIP
10-02-2006, 01:06 PM
I 've got an 87 Camry with the 2 ltr engine with 240K miles. The engine is running great but, it's been showing signs it's going for about a year now. I'm seeing small metal flakes in the oil. Longest it ever went between oil changes was 5400 miles.

I never used synthetic oil. Maybe that would have helped. Might want to try it.

Brian R.
10-10-2006, 10:03 PM
Hi guys,

Mine is a 2000 Avalon w/ 180,000 miles. I'm curious to know what the avg life for these engines are. There doesn't seem to be any problems at this time; we try to keep oil changed every 3K. I appreciate any sugggestions for preventive maintanence.

Thanks

The average life of those engines doesn't mean anything to you. If you take into account the variability inherent in building the engine with the possible range of clearances, surface finish of cylinder walls, cam lobes, lifters, bearings, etc; then you add in the variability associated with your maintenance habits, oil brand, coolant quality and quantity, oil contamination, etc., you have a unique engine that may never die or be ready to kick the bucket without warning.

The best you can do is treat your engine right and hope for the best. Toyota makes some of the best quality engines in the world and there is a great chance your engine will last twice as long as it has up to this point.

As far as recommendations for preventive maintenance, see the following post in the Camry FAQ thread:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3206934&postcount=23

rodeo02
10-11-2006, 06:54 PM
The engine is only a piece of the puzzle anyway. Much of the time, everything else falls apart around it! It depends on how much you want to put into it and if reliability is important. That car has had an oil change every 3Kmi!?!?! That's 60 oil changes or ~10 a year! You could have gotten away with half of that. Other maint items are just as important: ATF, engine coolant, etc..

Joel

binhoanhh
03-22-2007, 01:55 AM
HI,
A friend of mine has a 2000 avalon v6 XL . A code of P0171 with system too lean bank 1. I find out the problem with Oxigen sensor bank 1. Please show me how can i fix this problem.
Thanks a lot.

Brian R.
03-22-2007, 03:49 AM
Welcome to the AF!

This code is triggered when the air fuel ratio feedback is stable after engine warming up, the fuel trim is considerably in error on the LEAN side (2 trip detection logic)

Air intake hose loose
Fuel line pressure low (may be from running out of gas)
Injector blockage
HO2 sensor malfuction
MAF meter malfunction
Engine coolant temperature sensor malfunction

Clean MAF meter with electronic circuit cleaner<= most likely
Fix vacuum/intake leak downstream of MAF meter
Inspect fuel lines for cracks, leaks, or pinches
Replace fuel filter
Check fuel pressure at the fuel rail
Check output of HO2 sensor
Check injector performance
Check ECT sensor

The next time, begin a new thread with a new problem. You will get more feedback.

Add your comment to this topic!