Lifter noise in 3.4

Jerm1
10-01-2006, 08:46 PM
I have a question concerning my 04 GA with a 3.4. I recently traded in an 01 GA with a 2.4 for this one. It has 60,000 miles on it and I just changed the oil in it for the first time. Knowing nothing about what kind of oil was last used in it, I put 10W30 Valvoline in it because I firmly believe in Valvoline oil. The car had the usual lifter noise upon start up but since I changed the oil it has gotten worse. It goes away after a short period of time after each start up, which is good, but it's just louder now. I may be over concerned but cars cost too much not to be :2cents: . Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gir-_-
10-01-2006, 10:19 PM
I use Mobile1 full Synthetic extened performance 5w30 in my v6 :dunno: its what was originally in there just not synthetic

xeroinfinity
10-01-2006, 11:32 PM
I have a question concerning my 04 GA with a 3.4. I recently traded in an 01 GA with a 2.4 for this one. It has 60,000 miles on it and I just changed the oil in it for the first time. Knowing nothing about what kind of oil was last used in it, I put 10W30 Valvoline in it because I firmly believe in Valvoline oil. The car had the usual lifter noise upon start up but since I changed the oil it has gotten worse. It goes away after a short period of time after each start up, which is good, but it's just louder now. I may be over concerned but cars cost too much not to be . Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did you put 4.5 quarts in ?

Lifter noise is commen at start up.
Especially if the oil hasnt been changed regularly or ran low often they get a build up on them.

If the intake gaskets were replaced due to a leak,
their could still be moisture in them causing them to rust slightly when it cools down at night.

Keep on eye / ear on it tho.
Might not hurt to change the oil again after 1k miles and see if the next change doesnt clear it up.
Could also Try the 5w30 and see if that too will help.
That is whats recomended, but I've always used 10w30 and dont hav alot of noise.

And Welcome to AF!

Jerm1
10-02-2006, 11:42 PM
Thanks, I had thought of using the 5W30 since that's what it calls for and only does it on cold start up. I did use 4.5 quarts, I just think the 10W30 was heavier than what was in it.:dunno:

67HotRod
10-04-2006, 04:18 PM
I hate to say it, but maybe the previous owner doctord the oil?

Add your comment to this topic!