2003 Ford Windstar Parking lights won't turn off

Cyn_R
10-01-2006, 01:22 PM
It's as simple as that, my parking lights won't turn off? It started last night when I came home, my parking lights wouldn't turn off. Finally my husband unhooked my battery.

chasealley
10-01-2006, 03:47 PM
Do you notice any difference in the action of the lights switch? It may be possible it is worn in the 'off' to 'park lights' positions.

I'm just guessing because I'm not sure how the system works. We have a remote start system (installed before we got it) and when it kicks in the park lights go on automatically. Kind of annoying because the Ford manual says installation of a remote starter can cause the anti-theft to become inoperative. So obviously there is more going on with the park light system than just a switch.

May be worth taking it to Ford and letting them put it on the scan tool to check for chassis or electrical faults.

Cyn_R
10-01-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks Chasealley, I was hoping it might be something simple. I am going to call the Ford dealership when they open tomorrow to have look at it. Lately, it's all I do is bring my van in to have something fixed. When we first got the van my center interior light kept burning out, that's since been fixed after 2/3 visits for the same problem. Then the van had problems starting, it was getting so I wouldn't want to drive it anymore. I'd just cross my fingers that it would start. I had it into the Ford dealership for them to look at but they told me there was nothing wrong with it ... finally after a few visits they told me it was the starter, which has been replaced but doing the same thing again. Now I've got a screeching when I use the brakes when it's wet outside, something that I'll have to add to the list for the Ford dealership to look at this week.

chasealley
10-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Dealing with the dealers can be trying. About the interior light....I noticed tonight that sometimes mine flickers like a fluorescent! Odd.

Regarding the starter. I sometimes question the knowledge of the mechanics that diagnose. I used to work service and later parts at a large shop. We had one guy back in the mid 90's who was trained to handle computer related problems. The trouble is, he couldn't do anything mechanical! So we'd send him a car with a check engine light and he would send it back saying nothing is wrong and charge the diagnostic fee anyway. Of course the irrate customer wouldn't want to pay so the car stays in another day. The tech figures it is something like the computer so we order a new one, he puts it in, that doesn't fix it. Well, dealers don't return sensors or computers so the customer (or us) is stuck with the bill and a car that doesn't work. Finally, one of the old-timers will come over and notice something he's seen a thousand times before like a loose vacuum line, a disconnected plug, or a frayed wire. So when you say the car doesn't start and it takes 2 or 3 trips back to the dealer and it turns out to be the starter then I'd have to wonder.

Anyway, hope the trip to the dealer goes well. Hopefully it will be something simple like a switch.

Cyn_R
10-07-2006, 09:32 AM
I thought I'd let you know the light switch is worn, a new one has been ordered. They are also replacing my starter again. I forgot to mention the screeching brakes when it's raining, I will have to tell them to throw water on the tires to get it wet otherwise it won't make noise.
I've been driving my husband's truck all week, when they told me the parts weren't in yesterday I said I will be without a vehicle all weekend if they don't fix mine. They gave me a loaner, I thought it was nice.

Add your comment to this topic!