Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

i need help with my amp. only 2 of 4 channels are working

cjshadow
09-30-2006, 09:51 PM
Today i was trying to hook another amp to help with my front. while i was doing this i blew a fuse on my amp that i already had hooked up, so i replaced it and then only one sub was working. So i unhooked everything and hooked it back up but it did nothing. Can anyone help?

98gpking
10-01-2006, 07:52 AM
Today i was trying to hook another amp to help with my front. while i was doing this i blew a fuse on my amp that i already had hooked up, so i replaced it and then only one sub was working. So i unhooked everything and hooked it back up but it did nothing. Can anyone help?

how were you trying to hook up your second amp..did you follw these steps

-run a new power wire. theres a few ways you can add a second power wire. 1. you can run a second wire all the way from the battery to the new amp. 2 you can increase the first power from lets say 4-2ga and then run a splitter in your trunk and have 2-4ga wires coming out the splitter and one wire to each amp.

-did you give the new amp a second groud away from the first amps grounding. dont let the 2 ground wires make contact try and keep them separtated.

- did you run new RCA wires from the back of the CD player or did you run them from the output RCA jacks on the first amp.

im just tryig to get an idea how you hooked it up. i cant really see it so its a little harder. how many channles does the second amp have

cjshadow
10-01-2006, 09:34 AM
I just use a second 8 guage power wire and used a second ground wire connected to the same place as the other one. Then i unhooked the second amp and just hooked the first one up and only 2 of 4 channels was working. Then second amp is 2 channels. I want to know if this can happen and if i could fix it somehow.

cjshadow
10-01-2006, 09:35 AM
the rca was straight from the cd player

98gpking
10-01-2006, 04:01 PM
the rca was straight from the cd player

it is possible to fry out only 1,2,3, or all 4 channels it just depends. other then grounding botht he amps to the same place id say everything sounds good. id recommend getting a 4ga amp run that to the trunk get a splitter. and run an 8ga to each amp. you can have the amp tested for proper maintnence at any audio place such as best buy, circuit city, tweeter, you know,,,just about any audio shop will do it. it is possible you just fried out 2 of the channels. it happens. most shops either charge 20 bucks or they do it for free just depends when and where it is

cjshadow
10-01-2006, 05:49 PM
So, your saying that i can pay about 20 to get it fixed or to get it hooked up right?

98gpking
10-01-2006, 05:56 PM
So, your saying that i can pay about 20 to get it fixed or to get it hooked up right?

no no lol. i wish stereo work was that cheap man sorry. they can just hook ur amp up to a tester or you can leave it there for the day or whatever and they can test it and check out the amp. to install all your shit the proper way look to spend 100 bucks or so...depending on where you go. if you blew a channel its usualy required to rebuild and replace a bunch of circuitry on the board sometimes its not even repairable. just take it and ask around you might find a guy to check it for free

are you sure you just dont have a positive and negative wire crossed. are you using dual voice coil subs. are the ohms properly matched up. it might not even be the amp man it might be the way you got it hooked up sometimes its just as simple as one hair wire touching and it sets that channel off.

cjshadow
10-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks for your help man, il miss with it some more tomarrow, or get it looked at later on. L8r on :smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!