Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1st Gear Whine typical of MG's ?

QCMAN007
09-30-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm a new owner of a '73 Midget and am trying to get introduced to her. Just replaced the brakes , with floorpans due up next. Before I put her up on jack stands, she ran out nicely. The only concern I have is 1st gear. Is it typical for these cars to whine in 1st. This one reminds me of a school bus or log truck in 1st. Very low gearing in 1st. Any help is appreciated. Thx

mgajohn
12-22-2006, 10:52 PM
I'm a new owner of a '73 Midget and am trying to get introduced to her. Just replaced the brakes , with floorpans due up next. Before I put her up on jack stands, she ran out nicely. The only concern I have is 1st gear. Is it typical for these cars to whine in 1st. This one reminds me of a school bus or log truck in 1st. Very low gearing in 1st. Any help is appreciated. Thx
I had a 63 Mg midget that I fixed all up. It had been sitting a number of years. Anyway, after having painted it and fixing it up I checked the oil level in the transmission only to find none in it! I topped it off and it ran fine. Started it up a few days later and drove it only to hear the first gear (the gear that 1st runs out of reach of the oil!). It only made noise for minute or two. I stopped the car checked the oil and it was empty! I topped it off and drove it while checking it every day. I guess the oil softened the seals as it never was low again, however that few seconds that it ran without oil made it whine to this day! So, your car must of ran low on oil.... and it only had to do it for a very short time. They do make a little noise but not what you are talking about. Good luck.......... might be cheaper just to find another transmission rather than fix it.

Add your comment to this topic!