Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Reprogrammed PCM

BigFig15
09-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Im thinking about getting a reprogrammed PCM. Im buying one off ebay so i can have the original and a 2nd one to get reprogrammed. This isnt going to screw anything up on the car will it? also if i send the one of ebay to get reprogrammed how will it work on my car if its from another GTP? By the way the one off ebay is for a 99 GTP and i have a 00 GTP will that work?

Thanks for the help

MT-2500
09-30-2006, 05:03 PM
Im thinking about getting a reprogrammed PCM. Im buying one off ebay so i can have the original and a 2nd one to get reprogrammed. This isnt going to screw anything up on the car will it? also if i send the one of ebay to get reprogrammed how will it work on my car if its from another GTP? By the way the one off ebay is for a 99 GTP and i have a 00 GTP will that work?

Thanks for the help

Tread with care on thah one.
E bay is not one of the best places to get a pcm reprogramed.
If you gota do it find a pro and get it set up for your own car and what you want it to do.
MT

BNaylor
09-30-2006, 05:32 PM
I've seen some ads on EBay for DHP re-programmed PCMs. I would pass on it unless it is specifically for your year model GTP. PCMs for '99 - '02 are generally the same as far as hardware (part number) but there may be differences in the programming (bin file). The MAF/VAF tables are the same.

However, here is the major problem even if that one off a '99 GTP did work you will have problems with future service at any GM dealer. When a Tech II scan tool is hooked up the auto tech will not be able to call up your year model. It will default to '99. The PCM must have data such as year, model and the VIN number programmed in.

You are aware ZZP has re-programmed PCMs for around $79 plus shipping.

04GTP-WhatLAG?
10-01-2006, 01:32 AM
i know there was a lot of bitching on clubgp.com about DHP PCMs on ebay, people were using the powertuner to make their own "DHP 1.0 PCM" and selling them on ebay for profit and it was pissing Charles off, he had most of the auctions that popped up cancelled through ebay(when you purchase a powertuner its says you are not allowed to do that) but occassionally some still pop up, if you ever buy one of these DON'T mention in there and if you ever have a problem and try to get technical help don't tell them where you got it, they ignore people who do... I really can't say I blame them, its pretty much stealing copyrights...

MT-2500
10-01-2006, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the help

I am not sure this posted got that same one but you might read the post about it.
MT
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=4376156#post4376156

BNaylor
10-01-2006, 09:52 AM
I am not sure this posted got that same one but you might read the post about it.
MT
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=4376156#post4376156

No it is not the same one.

I don't see the relevancy of the post at Regal. The Regal owner got his re-programmed PCM module from ZZPerformance not off of EBay.

Alot of us to include me have re-programmed PCMs from DHP, ZZP and Intense and have no problems.

BigFig15
10-02-2006, 12:02 AM
The one im buying off ebay is a Stock PCM from a 99 GTP. I would like to send the one from the 99 GTP to get reprogrammed. I was wondering if it is possible and will this do anything to mess up my car like wear stuff out faster.

BNaylor
10-02-2006, 06:48 AM
The one im buying off ebay is a Stock PCM from a 99 GTP. I would like to send the one from the 99 GTP to get reprogrammed. I was wondering if it is possible and will this do anything to mess up my car like wear stuff out faster.

OK, here we go again. The PCM from a '99 GTP hardware wise is the same as your 2000 GTP so it should be useable. You have at least 3 options when you place an order to have the PCM re-programmed. It doesn't matter if you decide to go with DHP, ZZP or Intense, etc. Place order and you will have a core charge option. This means they will charge you the basic fee and a core charge. You will get a PCM from someone elses 2000 GTP. You will provide them with the data from your GTP to include VIN number so the programming for your year will be correct. Once you get the replacement PCM back you send the old one in to get the core charge refunded. In your case send them the one from the '99 GTP you plan on getting off of EBay. Also, you have the option of sending the one from the '99 GTP in without the core charge option. You will get that same one back but with the programming for your 2000 GTP.

Here are the typical ordering options:

I will return my core - Add $100 refundable core charge
I will keep my core - Add $100 to my total cost
I will send my PCM in to be re-programmed

There are no guarantees you will not have any future problems or problems after installing the new PCM. But generally the exchange goes without problems. Although it is only highly recommended after installing the re-programmed PCM a crank variation learn (case learn) may have to be performed.

BigFig15
10-02-2006, 12:21 PM
Alright. Thanks for the help

GTPpower
10-03-2006, 02:22 AM
When I was looking at getting one, I happened to see one on the ***** classifieds. I got it for $100 and got to keep my old one too.

Edited by Moderator.

BNaylor
10-03-2006, 08:30 AM
When I was looking at getting one, I happened to see one on the ***** classifieds. I got it for $100 and got to keep my old one too.

Edited by Moderator.

Sorry GTPpower. Since it is a competing automotive forum it gets no free advertising or referral to it. The site name has been edited out.

rubberman
10-03-2006, 01:24 PM
I got my ZZP PCM today. I bought a 99GTP stock pcm off a person from ****** and sent that one in to ZZP to be programed for my 00GT. I cant wait to install it.

Edited out by Moderator.

BNaylor
10-03-2006, 01:35 PM
I got my ZZP PCM today. I bought a 99GTP stock pcm off a person from ****** and sent that one in to ZZP to be programed for my 00GT. I cant wait to install it.

Edited out by Moderator.

Sorry Rubberman I am giving you the same warning I gave to GTPpower. That site is a competing automotive forum and a reference to it or third party promotion to it is not permitted.

If I get one more mention of that specific site in this thread or in the Grand Prix forum then someone is going on a short vacation.

However, we will allow technical links directly to that site in the form of a tech procedure or thread as long as it pertains to the issue at hand and helps the AF member resolve their issue.

Any other mention of it is considered gratuitous promotion which violates AF advertising rules.

Add your comment to this topic!