Brake pad installation problem 96 Legacy wagon

FGlass
09-30-2006, 01:10 AM
I can't seem to swing the caliper closed on a new set of CarQuest Gold pads (too thick on the outside pad) on the front brakes. Anyone have any ideas?
The outside pad seems to thick or is there a lateral adjustment on the caliper, thamks for any help.
Fglass

Bizzy102
09-30-2006, 06:47 PM
make sure that you press the caliper all the way into the bore.. If not, you probably have the wrong calipers..

freakray
09-30-2006, 08:35 PM
If not, you probably have the wrong calipers..

He said he changed brake pads, not calipers.

Do check the pistons are backed in all the way though, and make sure wherever you got the pads gave you the right thing.

FGlass
10-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Yes, I only attempted to replace front pads. The pistons were all the way back. and that side (inner) would have closed, but the outside pad would not.
When swinging the caliper down the outside pad hit the rotor with about a 1/16 of an inch of interference. They are Car Quest Gold GSD 563 pads and are supposed to fit the 96 Legacy Wagon. Their Tech dept did not answer emails so I am at a loss. I guess I'll have to micrometer the thickness against an OEM set. The rear set they provided did fit with no problem.
Thanks for any advice
Fglass

Bizzy102
10-05-2006, 07:04 PM
You could so it that way or at this point, return them for another set.. Try it that way. Sometimes the afermarket is a little off on there parts..

Add your comment to this topic!