Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ever try "Transmatic" fluid?

bombergp
09-29-2006, 07:03 PM
The ad/link at bottom of the page for my recent thread on trans prob. tells of this liquid fix to rejuvinate hydraulic system control & operation. Has anyone had success with this product?

neon_rt
10-02-2006, 10:57 AM
I wouldn't add anything to my Dodge FWD transmission. These transmissions are very sensitive to fluid and more than likely would lead to more problems than it fixes.
The only fluid fix I know of for these Transmissions is to change the Fluid/Filter and use the proper Mopar ATF+4 fluid, although I use Amsoil universal ATF. Amsoil is more expensive than Mopar, but the Dodge dealer is 40 miles away. Also, I have used Amsoil Trans fluid in my Caravans for a 160K miles (between the two, 100K in one 60K in the other) and never had a problem with it. One of the Caravans was lost in an accident at 130K miles, never had a trans problem. The other one still runs excellent with over 150K miles on it. People talk about how these transmissions suck, I haven't had that experience yet.

bombergp
10-03-2006, 09:59 PM
Hey neon, thanks for the answer. Do you drive hard using kickdown to pass or do you avoid kickdown shifting trans? Not sure if I'm just over driving the car. Dodge torqueflites back in 60s&70s were tuff units & I'm too ornery to slow down.

neon_rt
10-04-2006, 11:58 AM
To answer your question about how hard I drive.
I have installed slotted/drilled brake rotors, Addco Front and rear sway bars, aftermarket shocks/struts, low profile BFG tires and a radar detector. Almost everytime I drive my gas pedal ends up mashed to the floor. I manually shift constantly and run WOT up a local 1 mile 6% grade passing all the cars I can catch. I have always driven that way, I have never had any trouble with the "glass" transmission in any of my minivans.
Conversly when I'm trying to get good gas mileage (I still run WOT up Butler hill) I usually exceed the EPA estimates for Highway mileage even with some mixed city/highway driving. I have a '00 Grand Caravan with a 3.8l and get 23-25mpg in combo driving. Did I mention I use Mobile 1 in the engine (change every 6-9K mikes) , Amsoil Universal ATF in the trans (change every 50K-70K miles) , K&N filter and Glass Pak muffler (with stock resonator).
For a minivan it is actually fun to drive. It was funny to talk to my neighbor who just got a new '06 Mustang. They thought they would "teach me a lesson" by passing me on the way home from work (last 4 miles of our road is very curvy and ill-engineered). Unfortunately it didn't work out for them because the first place to pass is right after a very sharp corner. I didn't realize they were racing (otherwise I would have tried harder) and pulled ahead so far coming out of the corner that they couldn't catch me in time to pass before the next corner. By then I realized that they were trying to pass and took proper counter measures in which I out cornered them again and pulled far enough ahead that they never caught me. I was pulled into my driveway before they even reached the last corner before my driveway. I waved politely to them as they drove by. Makes me want to by a Mustang thats for sure (not). Talked to the neighbor at work soon after, they were surprised at the handling of the minivan, said they could have easily passed if they hadn't underestimated the handling (right). Come back when you have a real car.

Add your comment to this topic!