Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

96 Talon

Robbie Ray
09-29-2006, 04:45 PM
My wife's car is a 1996 Eagle Talon AWD Turbo Automatic with a 2.0 liter, 16 valve engine. The mileage is about 130,000. We also recently found out that it is a 'special' import because the exhaust is on the left side. The check engine light came on and we had the Emission Control Valve replaced to pass our states smog test. I wound up having to take it to a referee that knew about the problem of the computer not being able to read the readiness check monitors in the computer after the ECV is replaced. The referee checked it out and passed the car finding nothing wrong other than the 'MIL/check engine light' failing. Before and after it was passed the car had been 'losing power' and gradually got to the point that the car was not able to go over 40 on the freeway. We thought it was a transmission problem and took it to our mechanic. We've never had a problem with him or his work. He knows these cars and we trust him. He looked at the transmission and found nothing wrong. To confirm this he took it to an 'expert' who found nothing wrong and advised him that it may be the fuel injector. After cleaning and adjusting the fuel injector there was no change. After consulting his 'expert' again they decided it probably was the turbo. The few times I drove it recently I noticed that it was over charging at low speeds. He took out the turbo and sent it out to be rebuilt. I just talked to him and they sent the turbo back saying that there was nothing wrong with it.
My mechanic is at a loss as to what's wrong and I'm trying to help him out.
Can anybody help?

Thanks

SLoe
10-03-2006, 02:08 AM
You have the factory gauge? It will look like it's overboosting if you have a boost leak. It sounds like you have a boost leak, which should have been the first thing your "expert" looked for with a loss of power. It is the most common problem IMO with a turbo car losing power. The factory gauge doesn't measure, it calculates. Do a leak test. www.vfaq.com < IIRC you can find instructions on how to make a homemade leak tester. If someone else cares to post a direct link feel free. Also I would recommend an aftermarket boost gauge. :2cents:

EDIT: Which plugs are you using and are they properly gapped? If it is a boost leak you should also be running rich. It is probably a good idea to check the adjustment of the wastegate actuator too. Do an advanced search on this forum for wastegate adjustment using the name kjewer1.

P.S. pick a more descriptive title for your thread next time, I almost didn't look at this one. (ex. 96 talon overboosting, or 96 talon lost power)

Robbie Ray
11-02-2006, 07:29 PM
Sean, thanks for your help. My "expert" called in a number of other "experts" and none of them could figure it out. It was suggested that I take it to a dealer because they had 'specific' computer diagnostic equipment for this car where as my guy had 'general' computer diagnostic equipment.
I took it to my local Mitsubishi dealer about 1:30. At about 4:00 they called and said they figured out what was wrong. The car had bottomed out at some point and cracked the inter-cooler and hence no power. The guy at the dealership said that they see it quite often in the Mitsubishis that get into street races. Got a new inter-cooler, had it installed and it runs great now. Needless to say I'll only be going back to my mechanic for an oil change, maybe.:banghead:

SLoe
11-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Sean, thanks for your help. My "expert" called in a number of other "experts" and none of them could figure it out. It was suggested that I take it to a dealer because they had 'specific' computer diagnostic equipment for this car where as my guy had 'general' computer diagnostic equipment.
I took it to my local Mitsubishi dealer about 1:30. At about 4:00 they called and said they figured out what was wrong. The car had bottomed out at some point and cracked the inter-cooler and hence no power. The guy at the dealership said that they see it quite often in the Mitsubishis that get into street races. Got a new inter-cooler, had it installed and it runs great now. Needless to say I'll only be going back to my mechanic for an oil change, maybe.:banghead:Good! I am glad you got it taken care of. A busted intercooler definitely qualifies as a boost leak! Maybe you shouldn't even let him change your oil. ;)

crunchymilk55
11-02-2006, 11:38 PM
o man I have to ask, what did mitsu charge for a new intercooler?

Robbie Ray
01-29-2007, 01:47 PM
About $900. OUCH!

gthompson97
01-29-2007, 01:58 PM
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?!?! That's god damn ridiculous! You could have had a badass front-mount setup for like 1/3 of that price!! Never trust Mitsu. to repair your car unless you want to A) Pay out the ass, or B) Fix it yourself.

Robbie Ray
01-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Well, uh... welcome to the real world home boy!

rock0134
01-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Real world? I think doing things yourself is more appropriate for things like that.. the money you can save should be enough motivation to get your hands dirty and fix a problem yourself. I just took my stock side mount intercooler off to put on my big front mount and would have sold you that for like 30 bucks and you could have replaced it in a few hours... 900$<30$ i think haha

Blackcrow64
01-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Well, uh... welcome to the real world home boy!
Thats not the real world... Thats a butt raping place you call the real world... I would never pay 900 for something like that... My front mount intercooler setup cost me 150 for everything... Geez... 900... Thats a shame... :shakehead

EDMUND65
01-30-2007, 01:52 PM
After cleaning and adjusting the fuel injector there was no change.

how come nobody caught this??? WTF??? :icon16:

if you could call your "expert" and have him explain how he adjusted a fuel injector i would like to know... :screwy:

NateS
01-30-2007, 03:33 PM
"We also recently found out that it is a 'special' import because the exhaust is on the left side."

I believe all turboed dsms exhausts are on the left side...
By the way, me and I'm sure half the guys on here have stock side mount intercoolers laying around our garages. I would of been more than happy to ship it to u for 30 bucks. All you would have to do is invest less than an hour of work and your done. $870 dollars richer.

You should of had the dealership check your blinker fluid while you where there..... :rofl:

Add your comment to this topic!