Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2005 Quest, bad paint?

mazingo
09-29-2006, 11:05 AM
I was wondering if anyone is having problems with the paint on the new Quests? I bought my wife a 2005 Quest new in september of last year. Shortly after we bought it, about two months, I was washing it and notice the paint was coming off in small spots. I looked closer, and every where a bug hit the front bumper cover, the paint was dimpled or worse, COMING OFF.

I call the dealership and they acted like I was crazy. Then my wife took it by the dealerships body shop and they acted like they wanted nothing to do with it. They have told both of us they have to do a Tape Test to see if the paint is coming off. Why? I can see the paint missing and the font bumper cover looks like some one sanblasted it.

So after getting upset we let it slide, but now its love bug season again and I am noticing more dimples and spots. Even one place where a bird crapped on the side and top, the paint is gone down to the primer. I know that paint is supposed to hold up better than that. We are already washing it every week, Guess we should wash it everyday.

I need advice on how to handle this. We are going back to the dealership monday. But if they try to tell me it is enviromental I would like to have something to say.

dtownfb
09-29-2006, 01:23 PM
mazingo: Are you referring to the front bumper (which is plastic) or the front portion of th hood? I have some dings (tow or three) on teh front part of my hood but I've had this happen on all my cars. the largest is about 1/2" diameter, maybe less. The way to solve the problem is get touch up paint and put a bra or shield on it.

If you are talkign about the bumper, I'd have to see pictures of that.

mazingo
10-01-2006, 02:04 PM
mazingo: Are you referring to the front bumper (which is plastic) or the front portion of th hood? I have some dings (tow or three) on teh front part of my hood but I've had this happen on all my cars. the largest is about 1/2" diameter, maybe less. The way to solve the problem is get touch up paint and put a bra or shield on it.

If you are talkign about the bumper, I'd have to see pictures of that.

It is mostly just the bumper and it is not rock chips. The hood has a few small chips but that is expected, but it has almost none of the damage the front bumper has.
I have attached pictures of the bumper. The whole bumper is like this. The clear coat is ruff and some paint is missing. The paint started messing up right after we got it (less than 6000 miles) and bugs started hitting it. We tried to keep it washed but I dont have time to wash it every day.

clean bumper, the spots are missing paint, not bugs or tar.
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/bmazingo/000_0904.jpg

notice the missing paint in the groove
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/bmazingo/000_0901.jpg

this was not caused by rocks
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/bmazingo/000_0899.jpg

Spot where the paint peeled off
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/bmazingo/000_0900.jpg

Tony Pietro
10-01-2006, 06:58 PM
If you bought the veh new or used it is under a manufacturers warranty for at least 5 years. This sound like a faulty paint job usually in the preparation of the paint. if you bought the veh used it might have been in an accident small or bad. they probably had the entire veh repainted so it would match perfectly becase it was a new veh. if so who ever sold you the veh had the responsibility to tell you. they must make good for it especially a new or used car lot!!!! dont let them run you around. what you described and the pictures appear to be just as I said. call the regional office of Nissan if you get no satisfaction. :nono:

mazingo
10-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Well, now I am upset! Just heard from the dealership, Nissan is not going to cover the bumper, top, or the door of my wifes van. They said and I quote, "damage to paint caused by birds or bugs is considered enviromental, and is not covered under Nissans warranty". So it is official now, NISSAN SUCKS!

I can't beliave what they told me. And what is so bad it is only the bumper with bug damage. Not the mirrors or the hood or even the center of the grill. An there are two big spots ontop of the van missing paint now from bird POOO.

But, I am not through yet, I plan to go to the top with this.

If any one has any advice, Please I need some.

On the othere side the body shop foreman did try to get the dealership to paint the bumper using there "no questions asked funds". Which is a total of $300.00, and not enought o cover painting JUST THE BUMPER. How lame is that? The shop man was nice enough to tell me that if I take it to a bigger dealership, one with more money, they may be able to paint the bumper for me.

ANy way If any one knows a way to get it done let me know.

dtownfb
10-03-2006, 11:02 AM
mazingo: you even admitted that part of the paint damage is from bird POO and not necessarily a defect in the paint job. LIke I mentioned the front bumper is plastic and take a beating when driving. I have a 2004 (43k miles) but mine does not have near the bug marks as yours. I am parked under a tree each day so i have the bird markings like you. I simply rinse the van off once a week and have it waxed twice a year, spring and late fall. The wax gives additional protection against the environmental elements and makes it easier to remove bird droppings. Also invest in a bra for the van. this will protect the front of the van.

mazingo
10-04-2006, 02:52 AM
mazingo: you even admitted that part of the paint damage is from bird POO and not necessarily a defect in the paint job. LIke I mentioned the front bumper is plastic and take a beating when driving. I have a 2004 (43k miles) but mine does not have near the bug marks as yours. I am parked under a tree each day so i have the bird markings like you. I simply rinse the van off once a week and have it waxed twice a year, spring and late fall. The wax gives additional protection against the environmental elements and makes it easier to remove bird droppings. Also invest in a bra for the van. this will protect the front of the van.
I am not saying the paint job is bad, just the paint its self.
I bought this van new with 7 miles on it in september of last year and by November the bumber had over half the damage in the pictures. That is pretty bad I think.
I know that bugs are tough on paint and so is bird crap, but I have never owned a vehicle that the paint came off where a bird crapped on it. And I do think the bumper has bad paint, why else would the hood, mirror (plastic also), and even the center of the grill (painted plastic too) look like new. The hood gets plenty of bugs on it as do the mirrors and grill.
I have painted things with a can of rustolem that have held up better. I mean my 04 chevy truck used to get bugs left on it for a month while I was on the boat, and guess what...no damage. My 01 malibu with the primer black hood and primered bumper... no damage. This is a first for me.
I know when the BodyShop foreman at the dealership says he has seen alot of Nissans with the same damage, something is up. I also called the body shop in town and they said Nissans paint SUCKS.
But what can I do, NOTHING. I will probably file the front bumper on my insurance and be out a couple hundred bucks. And the bird spots, I will just use touch paint on it, and pray it doesn't start to rust. Buy a $ 100 bra for the new paint and check the top every time I wash it for new spots.
Hey as long as Nissan doesn't have to say they have a problem, RIGHT? Maybe some one will get a Class action suit going and I can ride the wave.
I do know this much I WILL NEVER OWN A NOTHER NISSAN! At least not a silver one.

dtownfb
10-04-2006, 09:00 AM
mazingo: I do feel bad for you. I have a 2004 and it gets battered with bug and bird poo and I do not have any paint peeling off. I do have a couple of dings on the hood but that is expected with the profile of this vehicle. If you have an 2001 Malibu, paint is the least of your issues (Yes, I have owned a 2001 malibu; key word "owned").

Also at some point the owner has to take some responsibility and do things to prevent this from happening. You have the right idea. Touch up the areas and invest in a bra. there are other things in this world to worry about. We've already wasted too much time and energy on this issue.

chubbybubba1
10-04-2006, 09:20 AM
Man. I've been reading this post and I feel bad for you. We have an 04' and don't have these problems. I'm pretty anal when it comes to keeping my van clean, but no way should you have to wash it everday! I would of not told them what I was removing from the paint(poo, bugs, etc..) and let them figure out what was wrong with it.

My impression from looking at the photos and reading was that this car has been repainted. I'd look for signs of masking tape lines. Like under the hood or on corners. I'd look for signs of overspray like in crevices or cracks. I mean the paint job looks like crap! You can't give up this fight with Nissan. They have customer satisfaction dollars budgeted for these issues. You just have to climb the ladder to get them. I'd also take it to an independent body shop and ask if they take a look at it to see what they think.

dtownfb
10-04-2006, 11:02 PM
chubby: I think you may be onto something.

mazingo
10-07-2006, 09:49 AM
I have looked at the paint and can't see any signs of a respray. Like I said the van was new when we got it.
For some reason customer service isn't returning my calls, but I will try again. I am going to get some touch up paint this weekend (try to stop the rust). And I am taking it by a body shop monday and then by my Insurance man, I also plan to keep calling Nissan untill they call me back or I get to talk to a real person.

I believe that they Are responsible for there work. If you took a car to a body shop and had a $2000.00 spray job, then two months later paint was coming off, you would expect them to do something right? Well according to the dealership the bumper costs over $300.00 to spray, so the whole van would be about $3000.00 to spray , at there cost.

I seem to recall GM had some problems with paint years ago, but you know what.... they fixed it. Maybe nissan will wake up.

dtownfb
10-09-2006, 08:48 AM
It also took GM years and tons of complaints to get to the point where they fixed their paint problem. i wouldn't hold your breath for Nissan to "wake up" since paint is not one of the problems that have plagued the Quest. this is why I think chubby is onto to something about this area being re-painted. maybe the van got bumped as they were unloading it. who knows? Unfortunately there is no way of finding out. If "someone" re-painted the bumper, you would not see any overspray as they probably took the bumper off.

If you do take it in for a Nissan rep. to look at it again, wash the van.

mazingo
10-30-2006, 11:39 AM
If you do take it in for a Nissan rep. to look at it again, wash the van.

It was washed when I took it, It didn't help.
The bumper has not been re-sprayed, there is only one "very thin layer of paint" over the plastic.
It doesnt matter though, I will take care of it myself.
Nissan has lost a customer, because I will never own another nissan product.

As I stated earlier my Chevy truck never had this problem with bug and birds, and I use to leave it next to Mobile Bay for over a month with bugs stuck to it and bird crapping on it. All you had to do was wash it on the way home, not worry about the paint coming off.

Add your comment to this topic!