Water sound under dashboard

cadiehl
09-29-2006, 08:53 AM
1996 GMC Sierra 1500 SL Xtra Cab

I have a water gurgling sound under the dash at the glove box. This has been going on for about two years, and the A/C and heat work fine. I get a little condensate/water drippage from the area onto the rubber floor board. It hasn't seemed to be a big issue which is why I have not taken it to the shop. Truck runs great. What is this, and is it something I can easily remedy myself.

Thanks in advance for the help!
CD

east302
09-29-2006, 09:19 AM
The condensate drain from the evaporator may be clogged, causing the condensate to fill up in the case and leak onto the floor. The drain line should be through the passenger side firewall...take a pipe cleaner or something similar to it. Do you normally notice water on the ground on the passenger side once you are parked? If not, then the drain is probably clogged.

For the noise, some say it's the heater core and common with these trucks. Try a search on the Chevrolet board, maybe they can help out some.

2000CAYukon
09-29-2006, 02:34 PM
I also own a 96 Chevy car. When I first bought it used, I also had the gurling sound coming from the dash. In my case, the cooling system had air trapped and needed to be bled. It has a bleeder screw on the tstat housing.

Not sure if the 96-99 Vortecs have a bleeder screw or not but your noise could be air trapped in the cooling system.

//2000CAYukon

horse482
09-30-2006, 01:00 PM
I have a '94 with the same problem, you can put a restictor in the inlet hose to limit the noise.

phipps
10-01-2006, 07:51 PM
My 1997 Sierra will have the gurgling sound if the coolant gets low.

Mr. Smith
10-02-2006, 10:44 AM
You have air in the system....Purge it of air and the gurgle will go away.

Add your comment to this topic!