Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Whistling from aftermarket intake

TalonEclipseMixGsx
09-28-2006, 05:17 PM
I just put on an aftermarket intake on my 98 Eclipse GSX. Thats the 1st mod ive done to it so far. It deepened the sound of the turbo, but when it gets to around 3500 rpm or so it will start to make a whistling noise kind of like a tea kettle. It didnt do this before when i had the stock intake on plus i checked to see if there was any play on the turbine in the turbo and there wasnt, so i dont think the turbos goin just yet. Is this normal or something i should be worried about? Thanks

Shpyder
09-28-2006, 08:24 PM
It's probably more a pronounced spooling whine, especially if you added a metal pipe to the intake filter as an upgrade. I wouldnt worry about it...by the way, our cars make a lot more noises than that, so be on your toes :iceslolan

steviek
09-28-2006, 08:43 PM
yea mine did something like that but it was just a tiny tiny boostleak. I would recommend just checking to make sure the band clamps are tight enough. Its nothing serious no worries.
also; respect to you for using the proper subforums and asking a legitimate question on your first post!

NateS
09-28-2006, 08:56 PM
Sounds most likely like a leak somewhere. Probably the turbo trying to suck air through a tiny crack in the intake where it isn't sealed up good. Like said above me check all clamps and seals to be sure they are tight and on correctly. Oh, and welcome to the forums.

TalonEclipseMixGsx
09-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Thanks yall i appreciate it. I ended up takin the rubber connector off from the intake and the turbo and reinstalling it and that took care of the noise. I just bought this eclipse dead stock with no upgrades at all, and im new to turbos, this bein the first one ive owned. I plan on making an upgrade every paycheck so im sure ill have other questions later on, but thanks for the quick advice

Add your comment to this topic!