Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AA rear spoiler problems

AutostradaVR4
09-27-2006, 07:59 PM
OK guys. Some of you probably remember when i posted about this in spring. Still havnt figured it out. Heres the problem.

The wing goes up fine, every time i hit the button, never an issue. However, it will only go back down when its wet out, and recently, even if it is wet out, i have to try it several times before it will go down. Front air dam works flawlessly. It seemed to me to be a bad connection somewhere, possibly a ground. Ive torn the rear wing apart twice and quadruple checked all the wiring from the computer to the wing motor. All wires and connections looked good. Ive also replaced the AA computer. No change.

The next step i was going to do was get a whole new wing motor for the thing, but before i do that i wanted to run it by you guys once more to see if anyone has any new ideas.

and if no one has any ideas, does anyone have a working AA wing motor they wanna sell me??? :confused:

EDIT: oh yea, and "get a non AA wing" is not a valid solution...:nutkick::biggrin:

Igovert500
09-27-2006, 08:48 PM
If all the connections in the wing look good, what about connections going to the wing. I'm running out now, but later tonight I'll check out the service manual and see if I can find a wiring diagram or something. Perhaps you have a bad connection somewhere in between the switch and the spoiler.

Linebckr49
09-27-2006, 10:16 PM
this is what i think you should try before replacing the entire motor or wing. you could even remove these plastic clips on your car to verify their condition, and replace if necessary.

http://www.3sx.com/store/catalog/stock-active-aero-wing-rear-clips-mr358261-03-400l.jpg

If your active aero rear wing has stopped working, there are a number of reasons. If the motor itself is operating but the wing will not physically move up/down, odds are it is these little plastic clips. These actually connect the regulator motor to the wing assembly and can get broken if the wing is forced up or down, jolted harshly, or just wear out over time - they are plastic. Replacement is relatively easy - takes about an hour total. Sold as a pair. $8.00/pair.

http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=562

AutostradaVR4
10-02-2006, 03:07 PM
im assuming the wiring going from the switch to the AA control computer in the hatch area are good, because the front dam works fine. I took the computer apart to check it, it looked good. I replaced it just to be safe. All the pins in the harness at the computer looked good.

I rebuilt the wing twice now, the first time just to check the connections on the motor and the second to take everything out, clean it, and make sure there were no broken parts. The plastic pieces ^ were in good shape and lubed. When the wing doesnt work, i dont hear the motor run...and when it does work, it works perfectly, so i think all my linkage is fine. I tried to check all the wiring with my multimeter, but the readings i got were confusing and it was a pain to check, becasue it seems like it only gets power for the 1/4 second when the wing is in motion.

I guess i will just take it apart one last time and hotwire the motor to see if it works then. If i cook it accidently i suppose its no real loss at this point.

Ill keep you updated in case anyone is interested.

cobra_im
05-31-2007, 10:30 PM
where do I check if the motor is working mine is stuck in the up position?

__s14__
06-01-2007, 03:42 AM
umm newbie question...whats active aero??

AutostradaVR4
06-01-2007, 04:52 PM
bringin back old threads...:nono:

cobra...ill post in the other thread u started.

s14...the AA system is a speed sensitive rear spoiler and front air dam. at 50+ mph the front air dam lowers (lowering lift on the front of the car) and the rear spoiler tilts upwards (increasing downforce on the rear end).
It was a standard feature on the VR4s up until 96 i believe...when they changed to the hoop spoiler.

in my sig pic V you can see my spoiler is stuck in the "up" position...

Add your comment to this topic!