Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'01 LeSabre - McPherson Struts

PhillipE
09-27-2006, 07:55 AM
The other day I came to a dip in the road that didn't look all that bad. At about 35 mph it felt like the car just bottomed out with a WUMP!

If I push down on the front end it doesn't seem to be loosy-goosy.

But the car has 86k (I've only put 1k on it), and I would bet that the struts have never been replaced.

I want to install the Monroe Sensa-Trak, but have never installed struts before.

On the diy website, it mentions a few parts that may be worn and need replacing at the same time.

These parts mentioned are: Nut and bushing for the stabilizer bar link, top spring mount, and rubber insulator.

I've tried to look up these parts at napaonline, advanceauto, etc... with no luck.

If someone has these part numbers I would greatly appreciate the info.

I know I need to get a spring compressor for the job.

The step-by-step photos at:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_suspension/article/0,2021,DIY_13695_2278108,00.html

make it look like a fairly simple job (famous last words!).

Anyway, I plan to start it on a Friday after work to give me the whole weekend. :-)

Thanks for any tips and pointers in addition to those part numbers I need!

Phil

stuzman
09-27-2006, 11:25 AM
The other day I came to a dip in the road that didn't look all that bad. At about 35 mph it felt like the car just bottomed out with a WUMP!

If I push down on the front end it doesn't seem to be loosy-goosy.

But the car has 86k (I've only put 1k on it), and I would bet that the struts have never been replaced.

I want to install the Monroe Sensa-Trak, but have never installed struts before.

On the diy website, it mentions a few parts that may be worn and need replacing at the same time.

These parts mentioned are: Nut and bushing for the stabilizer bar link, top spring mount, and rubber insulator.

I've tried to look up these parts at napaonline, advanceauto, etc... with no luck.

If someone has these part numbers I would greatly appreciate the info.

I know I need to get a spring compressor for the job.

The step-by-step photos at:
http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/ab_suspension/article/0,2021,DIY_13695_2278108,00.html

make it look like a fairly simple job (famous last words!).

Anyway, I plan to start it on a Friday after work to give me the whole weekend. :-)

Thanks for any tips and pointers in addition to those part numbers I need!

Phil

Hi Phil,

I replaced the struts on my 2000 LeSabre which should be the same for your year. The job isn't that bad and took me about 2-1/2 hours. In my case, I also replaced the upper and lower spring insulators, upper spring seat, upper strut bearing mount and the rubber boot with bumper. I would recommend replacing the upper strut bearing and mount while you're in there. You should be able to get these locally and Monroe makes them.

Also, if you decide to replace the upper and lower spring insulators, you'll have to get that from the dealer or online. I got these items from www.gmpartsdirect.com (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com) By the way, you can go to www.monroe.com (http://www.monroe.com) and plug in your vehicle and year and bring up the strut, bearing kit and bumper kit part numbers. I did this just to make sure the auto parts store was giving me the correct components.

When I did my own car, I took some photos and wrote up the procedures and have it in a pdf format if you're interested in the replacement of the struts and other associated components. Just let me know...

Terry

PhillipE
09-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Terry, yes please send me the pdf when you get a chance. I pm'ed you my email address.

Ok, I looked up the parts as follows (I do have a few questions) :-)

From gmpartsdirect:

Upper Spring Insulator #22189860 $7.92 ea
Lower Spring Insulator #22181835 $8.04 ea
Upper Spring Seat #22166986 $4.43 ea
Upper Strut Bearing #908554 $31.48ea
*Mount #22197789 $82.40 ea

* Is Mount the same as Strut Bearing Plate? The Mount seems to be fairly expensive. Any good way to tell if it really needs replacing? At napaonline the Strut Bearing Plate is part# NCP2613304 at $91.29 ea.

Stabilizer Bar Bushing (3 different sizes)

28mm #25699776 $5.08 ea
29mm #25699777 $5.08 ea
30mm #25699778 $5.18 ea

Is there an easy way to tell which size I need before I tear into it? Maybe I should order all three bushings just in case?

Stabilizer Bar End Bushing: 6270752 $.80 ea (I wish they were all this cheap!)
Stabilizer Bar Control Link: 25715934 $9.79 ea

You mentioned a rubber boot with bumper. Is this the same as strut bumper bellows? $22.09 at napaonline.

Thanks!

Phil

Hi Phil,

I replaced the struts on my 2000 LeSabre which should be the same for your year. The job isn't that bad and took me about 2-1/2 hours. In my case, I also replaced the upper and lower spring insulators, upper spring seat, upper strut bearing mount and the rubber boot with bumper. I would recommend replacing the upper strut bearing and mount while you're in there. You should be able to get these locally and Monroe makes them.

Also, if you decide to replace the upper and lower spring insulators, you'll have to get that from the dealer or online. I got these items from www.gmpartsdirect.com (http://www.gmpartsdirect.com) By the way, you can go to www.monroe.com (http://www.monroe.com) and plug in your vehicle and year and bring up the strut, bearing kit and bumper kit part numbers. I did this just to make sure the auto parts store was giving me the correct components.

When I did my own car, I took some photos and wrote up the procedures and have it in a pdf format if you're interested in the replacement of the struts and other associated components. Just let me know...

Terry

stuzman
09-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Terry, yes please send me the pdf when you get a chance. I pm'ed you my email address.

Ok, I looked up the parts as follows (I do have a few questions) :-)

From gmpartsdirect:

Upper Spring Insulator #22189860 $7.92 ea
Lower Spring Insulator #22181835 $8.04 ea
Upper Spring Seat #22166986 $4.43 ea
Upper Strut Bearing #908554 $31.48ea
*Mount #22197789 $82.40 ea

* Is Mount the same as Strut Bearing Plate? The Mount seems to be fairly expensive. Any good way to tell if it really needs replacing? At napaonline the Strut Bearing Plate is part# NCP2613304 at $91.29 ea.

Stabilizer Bar Bushing (3 different sizes)

28mm #25699776 $5.08 ea
29mm #25699777 $5.08 ea
30mm #25699778 $5.18 ea

Is there an easy way to tell which size I need before I tear into it? Maybe I should order all three bushings just in case?

Stabilizer Bar End Bushing: 6270752 $.80 ea (I wish they were all this cheap!)
Stabilizer Bar Control Link: 25715934 $9.79 ea

You mentioned a rubber boot with bumper. Is this the same as strut bumper bellows? $22.09 at napaonline.

Thanks!

Phil

Okay Phil, the PDF is sent to the email address that you provided. The strut mount is different from the bearing itself. The strut mount is a plate with a rubber mount which holds a bushing that the strut shaft slides in. The bearing is round and made of plastic which rides underneath the strut mount and sits on top of the upper spring seat. Here is a website that shows a pic of each for your car. The round item in the background is the bearing...Also, I have the items marked in the PDF.

http://www.partstrain.com/products/Engine/Suspension/Strut_Mounting_Kit/2001~BUICK~LESABRE~6~3.8~LESA-CUSTOM-008.html

You can just get both assemblies as a "strut mounting kit" which includes the bearing. I was able to get Monroe's "strut mounting kit" for about $55.00 from O'Reillys but it took a couple of days. The item "strut bumper bellows" is the same as I mentioned. I also got this item from O'Reillys which Monroe makes.

I'm not sure of the stabilizer bushings as I've never had to replace any. Hopefully, someone else can help you out on that one. Keep us posted of your repairs and good luck!!!

Oh, by the way. Before I bought my strut and parts, I did a price check with Napa and found them to be the highest retailer out there. Although they sell Monroe parts, their price was about 30% higher than anyone else.

Add your comment to this topic!