Lifter noise? or something else...

Jimmy96er
09-25-2006, 11:48 PM
I just recently purchased a 98 dodge ram 1500 with the V8; Its got higher kms on it (300km). When I start up the car I hear this *tick*tick*tick... its quite loud and you can definetly hear it in the cab.. and it doesnt go away. I tried to flush the engine and use an additive in the hopes that it would fix the problem but to no avail.

I brought it to my mechanic and he told me that it was the lifter(s) and mostly heard from the passenger side... are these lifters adjustable? how hard is it to do??

One more question, how can one know exactly if the lifters are causing the noise?? the tick tick tick sound, is sort of similar to the tap tap tap... constant doesnt really get louder.

500hpram
09-28-2006, 11:52 AM
could be small exhaust leak

neon_rt
09-28-2006, 01:01 PM
A cracked exhaust manifold will sound like a tick, tick, tick but usually gets quieter when the engine gets warm b/c the metal expands and closes the gap.
The lifters are self adjusting, so if it is tapping, it is broken or worn past the point of max adjustment. How "fixed" do you want to make it is the question.
I have been cheap in my life and replaced one lifter (the noisey one), just to have another go out 10K miles later. Did this three times on one vehicle. You can replace all of the lifters. But then it is recommended that when you replace lifters you replace the push rod (because of the tapping the push rod gets worn on the end). But then when you replace lifters it is recommended to replace the cam (b/c the tapping lifter cuts a deep groove in it and may cause the new lifter to tap just the same). The sure fix is to replace the cam, lifters and pushrods. I like this solution b/c you have oportunity to replace the cam with a Mopar Performance R/T Cam (street legal of course). For me this is the solution I would go for b/c my wife gets annoyed when I spend money on vehicles that is more than just maintenance. This way I could say "this needs fixed and this is how much it cost, hear the tapping it will get worse until it breaks". I win, I get a 20hp upgrade and she just thinks that's what it cost just to fix the tapping, yeah!
If anyone could come up with a good excuse for why I need a turbo for my '83 Dodge Rampage, I would be grateful.

hondahappy86
09-29-2006, 04:43 PM
tell her the rampage motor is gettin a little tired and that it needs a wake up call....preferably a shelby z turbo motor....lol

Jimmy96er
10-02-2006, 07:03 PM
Definetly want it done once and keep it going for a couple years or so.... so I really dont mind spending a couple extra bucks to keep it running in tiptop condition.

Unfortunately, upon furthur inspection... I opened the valve cover of the side I predict is making the sound and IT looks like you cant get to the lifters without either a) removing the head or b) removing the intake..... I dont have a haynes manual but I think the way to get to those lifters is through the intake.... I will prolly replace all 8 on one side and hope for the best.

Is replacement of the cam really that imperative when you have lifter noise?

Add your comment to this topic!