Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

CB radio

sonoma_xac
09-25-2006, 10:23 PM
Yo! my and my friends are all getting cb radios for our rides for two reasons. 1. stay in touch without cell service which is sparse driving on through the hills around home. and 2. to know when the cops are on to us. any advice??

pimprolla112
09-25-2006, 11:34 PM
I think a police scanner would be better than a CB for police. As for CB's you get them from any truck stop for between 50-250 for portable and the same and more mounted ones. Ive always found scanners to be better to monitor police activity.

PaulD
09-26-2006, 06:48 AM
wow .... had my last CB in early 80's. If you are gonna get one, get the ones with SSB (single side band).

sonoma_xac
09-26-2006, 12:50 PM
If i just have a cb, will I pick up the police transmissions? Or should I get a scanner as well?

BigBL87
09-26-2006, 01:36 PM
If i just have a cb, will I pick up the police transmissions? Or should I get a scanner as well?

I believe that the police use frequencies that regular CB's don't use, but I could be mistaken. Either way, a scanner would be your best bet, although police usually don't like it when you have a scanner, so make sure to hide it if you get pulled over.

PaulD
09-26-2006, 03:02 PM
CB is AM frequencies (way below the AM radio band) ..... police use FM (way above the FM radio band). You have to have a scanner, although you can legally listen - you CANNOT legally broadcast on these frequencies. Same ar Radar detectors freqs - that's why jammers are illegal.

Add your comment to this topic!