1992 Subaru Legacy engine knock when warm!

ryanrob
09-25-2006, 11:19 AM
I own a 1992 Surbaru Legacy, AWD, non-turbo'ed 4 banger that is a little sick (I think), but only when warm. This is the first sube I have ever owned, so I need to get to know this car... The engine just hums when cold, but starts to knock as it warms up. Is this normal? I kinda assume it should knock when cold not when warm? An incorrect adjustment perhaps?

Any help would be much appreaciated.

Ryanrob

Bizzy102
09-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Check your oil.. If okay, you might want to have a tech look at your oil pressure.. It might be low, if so , you are hearing either a rod or a bearing..

fadi4000
10-16-2006, 02:30 PM
I own a 1992 Surbaru Legacy, AWD, non-turbo'ed 4 banger that is a little sick (I think), but only when warm. This is the first sube I have ever owned, so I need to get to know this car... The engine just hums when cold, but starts to knock as it warms up. Is this normal? I kinda assume it should knock when cold not when warm? An incorrect adjustment perhaps?

Any help would be much appreaciated.

Ryanrob
it looks like you have to adjust the valve clearance to the requierd adjustment by subaru

4Wheel
10-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Subarus are notorious for "piston slap" knock, the curious thing is that iot gets worse when hot.
Pick up a "mechanics stethascope" they have them in most parts stores don't need and expensive one even a screwdriver held to your ear works but cn be risky when probing a running engine. Take the scope and probe around the engine until you find the loudest point. valves in need of adj will be loudest at the valve cover and rod bearings will be loudest near the center of the casse and ect...

Add your comment to this topic!