Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Dipstick and oil leak

Mikelb
09-25-2006, 09:56 AM
When I really get on the gas and hit full boost, I notice white smoke almost engulfing the car... I thought maybe the car was running lean, but the knock sensor never showed anything...
I looked into it a little more, and noticed that it was oil...
Apparently, when the boost kicks in, the dipstick jumps outta place and oil shoots out onto the hood, then falls onto the manifold (creating the smoke)...
is there a PCV valve that could be bad (I just replaced the valve cover, old one was cracked)... or what might it be...

eclipsed at 3am
09-26-2006, 11:17 AM
wouldnt hurt to change the pcv valve. its only like $4 or so. Also, check what kind of condition the seal on the dipstick handle is in. sometimes they get old and hard and dont stay in there. if its not too bad soak it in atf (that kinda restores rubber seals right?) and put it back in. what i had to do that youcould also try is clamp the sleeve a little, so that there is a tighter fit.

Mikelb
09-26-2006, 11:23 AM
alright, thanks...

I was looking around and had just found the fix (clamp) that you were talking a/b... I'm going to see if I can fabricate something like that...

I've also delved into the situation a little more (even though I haven't had time)... I apparently didn't catch that I have stripped out valve cover bolt holes... so the front of the valve cover isn't being held down but by one bolt... so looks like I'll be having some fun with a drill and helicoil...

eclipsed at 3am
09-26-2006, 11:24 AM
hey im sorry when i said clamp i meant crimp the sleeve just a little bit, not an actual clamp, although that could work too.

crunchymilk55
09-26-2006, 11:32 AM
zip ties bud, they'll hold it down

you're building excess crankcase pressure, most likely a faulty PCV valve.

Mikelb
09-26-2006, 11:32 AM
the thing I found was where a guy had made him a little bracket that had a wire tie around the dipstick housing, and he had a piece of metal that sat in the dipstick handle. He'd just push the metal back when he wanted to pull the dipstick out...

crunchymilk55
09-26-2006, 11:34 AM
just read this on your sig

"Nitrous (purge only)"

why?

Mikelb
09-26-2006, 11:35 AM
OK, I think I'll try and take the PCV from the old valve cover, it seemed fine... never had that issue, but had to change the valve cover due to cracks...

Add your comment to this topic!